We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dress code for tea

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wayne NJ
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Dress code for tea

I read in a travel magazine that some of the places in London serving a traditional tea have dress codes. Can anyone suggest a place with a good tea where you can go casual?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,396 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dress code for tea

Wolseley, Fortnum & Mason certainly.

Probably most of them - I've never been turned away from afternoon tea because of how I was dressed.

Oxford, UK
Level Contributor
5 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dress code for tea

There's casual and then casual! Shorts, tshirt, trainers and you might have a problem in top-end restaurants and some of the 5 star hotels. Trousers/jeans and a casual shirt and you'll be fine pretty much everywhere except the few that make their dress code really clear (eg The Ritz!).

The Wolseley is really nice and state that they are smart casual (but in my experience are fairly relaxed about it during the day). Some of the more famous places (eg Claridge's, and Fortnum & Mason) can pack people in and rush you out, especially at peak times! I've had better service and experience at less famous hotels and restaurants.

This website might be helpful: http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/

Have fun!

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dress code for tea

For the Savoy its smart casual, no trainers no shorts but smart jeans are allowed

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dress code for tea

Smart casual, for recommendations use the search box at the top of the page, you'll get loads of info.

Chepstow, United...
Level Contributor
565 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dress code for tea

You need to watch out for the places that have a strict dress code - particularly the hotels that insist that -everyone- taking afternoon tea wears a dress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwC7ph9FD54

;-)

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dress code for tea

Afternoon Tea is a 'hangover' from a more elegant age when everyone used to 'dress' for Tea and 'dress' for dinner etc, etc, etc.

You don't HAVE to do that these days, but to me it seems to somewhat 'negate' the point of spending all that money and going to the 'classic' Hotels and venues if you don't.....

Wayne NJ
Level Contributor
41 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dress code for tea

Thanks for all replies, Essex Wanderer I totally get what you are saying about the dress experience, but to me the words vacation and dress just don't jive.

Just want to experience the tea and food in neat jeans and shirt with collar, so looks like there are plenty to fit the bill.

Blorengia that video was too funny.

Essex
Level Contributor
27,032 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dress code for tea

Hmmn, I didn't look at Blorengias link until just now!

Dress like that and you are bound to be thrown out - Miss McCandle!!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
2,063 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dress code for tea

Hi there

Call me old fashioned but isn't it nice to get dressed up? No one seems to like to do that anymore. In 2009, I went to The Ritz for afternoon tea and loved getting dressed up - in a word it's nice to look and feel "classy" from time to time.

Kind Regards

Merran

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,378 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dress code for tea

Merran I love that too, my friend and I wore summer dresses four our Tea @ the Savoy, for me its part of the experience