We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thames Clipper to the O2

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Thames Clipper to the O2

Hi

We will be going to see tennis matches in November at the O2. Do we need to book the Thames Clipper is advance? or is there enough capacity to just "walk up."

THANKS

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thames Clipper to the O2

In general you don't need to book the Clipper in advance, but I don't know what it's like when there's a particular event on. My advice is to travel earlier than might be pbviously necessary, and to have a plan B - train from Waterloo to Charlton.

Edited: 11 September 2011, 16:08
croydon
Level Contributor
616 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thames Clipper to the O2

We just buy tickets at the booking office. Never had any problems.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thames Clipper to the O2

Thanks -- how about the return trip after the event -- should we buy in advance for that? I'd rather not wait on a long line if I dont have to.

THANKS

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thames Clipper to the O2

You can buy the ticket in advance, but I don't think you can book for a specific boat.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thames Clipper to the O2

Nick's correct, you just go to the pier after the event and get on the next boat. Thames Clippers are well aware of when there are events on at the O2 and they lay on extra boats to cope with the demand, as one is boarding you'll see another waiting to dock. You don't wait very long, not as long as you do at the tube station anyway.

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thames Clipper to the O2

Thanks.

If its possible, is it a good idea to BUY the return ticket when we are paying for the ride TO the O2? I assume you cant just pay on board?

THANKS

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thames Clipper to the O2

Where will you be boarding the boat? Will you be taking the "O2 Express" from the London Eye? If so, you can buy your ticket online and print it yourself, here: https:/…1

For the ordinary Thames Clipper service, at some piers you should buy a ticket before boarding. From other piers, you can buy the ticket onboard. Apart from knowing that Embankment is one of the piers where you shouldpay before boarding, I've never worked out what teh rules are.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,331 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thames Clipper to the O2

You need a ticket before you board the express at the O2, so either pay online and print it off, or buy a return at the Waterloo (London Eye) pier on the way there. Alternatively (if you're maybe arriving by other means) you can buy at the O2 but it's a good idea to do this before your event as the ticket sales window is empty then.. after the event everyone has the same idea and there's a queue for tickets. I've always paid online to take the O2 express back to the London Eye, it's the easiest way.

9. Re: Thames Clipper to the O2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 04:16