We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Children on the Tube

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Children on the Tube

Hello, I can't seem to find any clear answer as to whether or not I need to buy my children (ages 9 & 11) a Travelcard for the tube. Does free travel apply only to British children or can tourists take advantage of the offer?

Thanks in advance!

K

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,420 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Children on the Tube

The 9 yr old travels free with an adult. To travel free the 11 yr old would need to apply for a Zip Oyster photocard which takes time and costs £10 (non refundable) so most visitors would child rate day or week travelcards (£4 or £13.80 for zones 1+2.)

It is actually explained relatively well on the TFL site:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14416.aspx

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Children on the Tube

Just a tip, when travelling, do make sure you take your 9 year old through the gates at either side of the normal turnstiles, they are set aside for families, pushchairs, disabled, passengers with luggage, etc. Trying to squeeze them through the normal turnstiles with you can cause accidents - they can clamp shut very quickly.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Children on the Tube

Thanks for the advice and I will check out the link

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,945 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Children on the Tube

You might find this information useful.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14310.aspx

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,682 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Children on the Tube

Just saying, not telling you. The attendant at the gate will not ask for a birth certificate for your children. Push them through. They will adapt a lot quicker than you.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,897 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Children on the Tube

For a stay of a few days or a week, paying £10 plus S&H for an Oyster Zip photocard for your 11 year old simply isn't worth it, as its cost wipes out any saving you might make. That card is intended for London residents and children using public transport to get to and from school.

You can get the child 7 day travelcard (£13.80 for zones 1+2) without the Zip, but only as a paper travelcard at a National Rail station ticket office. Just to confuse matters, national rail also requires a photocard, but theirs if free and is made up by the ticket clerk on the spot. All you would need to bring is a passport size photo of your 11 year old (it doesn't have to be official, just that size showing his/her face), and possibly their passport as initial proof of age. Details of the NR photocard are here (7 day cards count as season tickets) -

nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/season_ticket…

The one day paper child travelcards do not need a photocard regardless of where they are bought. The off-peak card costs £3 and is valid for all zones. The anytime card varies depending on zones but is only £4 for zones 1-2.

(All prices are at 2011 rates)

Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
970 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Children on the Tube

We traveled when my son was 10 and 11. At 10, the two of us walked up to the handicap accessible gates and an attendant would let us through (after I used my ticket). Walk up to the gate like you know exactly what you are doing and nobody will say a word. If you have a ticket, nobody cares if you're a tourist!

When my son was 11, we got him the 1 day paper tickets. We could buy several of them at a time, so we didn't have to go to a station every day. I held onto the ticket, as I was fairly certain he would lose it somewhere, but he got quite good at feeding his ticket into the gate, and collecting it when he came through!

Reading about the tube system is far more daunting than actually using it! And, for what it's worth, my son really didn't like riding the tube, so we often wound up on buses instead.

8. Re: Children on the Tube

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 15:16