We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bond Street Station and pub recommendations

Bradenton, Florida
6 posts
Save Topic
Bond Street Station and pub recommendations

Hello,

We will be in London for 4 days in early October and are staying just south of the Marble Arch tube station. I'm hearing that the Bond St station is closed for renovations and that it affects both underground and above ground traffic routing. Does that mean that the Marble Arch tube station becomes effectively useless to us or that we need to travel farther to get transport?? Sorry, not public transportation savvy....!

Secondly, are there any REASONABLE breakfast places in the area and where is a good place for traditional pub food and fish and chips?

Too many questions for one post???? Thanks for the advice.

Mentioned in this post
The Marble Arch London
The Marble Arch London
491 Reviews
London, UK
Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bond Street Station and pub recommendations

The work at Bond Street (as far as I know) affects street level traffic mainly (Oxford Street is closed to eastbound traffic as they upgrade sub surface water and gas mains) but the station is still useable even though some upgrades are taking place so you'll see the place looking pretty untidy. (I think the entrance on the north side of Oxford Street is closed but the other two entrances across the road are fine). Where did you see that Bond Street is closed if you don't mind me asking?

Marble Arch is still in use as normal, and the Central Line will not be suspended.

Pubs near Marble Arch:

beerintheevening.com/pubs/…179

(The Bricklayer's arms and the Carpenter's Arms are two decent ones)

Pubs near Bond Street:

beerintheevening.com/pubs/results.shtml/tu/31

There's a decent Italian cafe on South Audley Street (close to the US embassy) that does breakfasts, not sure how close that is to you but it's about 7 or 8 mins walk from Marble Arch tube. The Audley pub is nearby too and that's quite decent for food.

Edited: 26 September 2011, 08:32
Mentioned in this post
The Marble Arch London
The Marble Arch London
491 Reviews
London, UK
denmark
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bond Street Station and pub recommendations

I can recommend Cardinals of Mayfair ( Mayfair 115c North Row

London, W1K 7) for breakfast we use when we start our trip down Oxford Street. It has become a tradition. An excellent mix of local workers and tourists.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bond Street Station and pub recommendations

If you want a traditional Caf then Wally's cafe in Avery Row does a great fry up.

westmids/calaegos
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bond Street Station and pub recommendations

Just across from Bons St tube, on the Selfidges side of Oxford St is a narrow alley way that leads to St Christophers Place. When you go through there it opens up into a square with pubs and restaurants a plenty. Do have a wander and a look there!

westmids/calaegos
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
1,391 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bond Street Station and pub recommendations

Just across from Bons St tube, on the Selfidges side of Oxford St is a narrow alley way that leads to St Christophers Place. When you go through there it opens up into a square with pubs and restaurants a plenty. Do have a wander and a look there!

Bradenton, Florida
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Bond Street Station and pub recommendations

You all are awesome! Thank you so much for all the great suggestions. As for where I got the concern about the Bond St Station - I've looked at so many London sites in the last couple of weeks they are all a muddle in my head. I think, since it was pretty specific, that it was on one of the transportation web pages - maybe for the buses. Sorry to not recall exactly.

Feel free to continue with any and all suggestions. This is my first trip to London and I can't wait!!

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,760 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bond Street Station and pub recommendations

"maybe for the buses. Sorry to not recall exactly."

Yes that would make sense as buses are disrupted heading past Bond Street, as I say it doesn't affect the tube stations though, no worries on not remembering, I was just making sure you hadn't maybe found a release that the rest of us didn't know about.

London, United...
Level Contributor
688 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bond Street Station and pub recommendations

Bond Street Station has had some restricted opening lately (very early mornings and late evenings) and has one set of escalators closed for refurbishment, but apart from being a bit busier at peak times it's working as normal.

Effingham, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bond Street Station and pub recommendations

Cardinals of Mayfair for any meal. For fish and chips I have found 2 places Cardinals of Mayfair and The Fish Bone 82 Cleveland Street.

10. Re: Bond Street Station and pub recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 10:17