We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions: cycling in the parks/oyster for Windsor

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Questions: cycling in the parks/oyster for Windsor

Hi

I may be rather early but I feel planning is half the fun, and my first itinerary for my trip in March leaves me with 2 questions

1) i want to visit a few parks on a sunday morning(I arive the previous day), would it be possible/allowed to get a Boris bike and then cycle trough Kensington Gardens-Hyde Park-Green Park-StJamesPark? I plan to do this early and then go on a London Walk which starts at 10:30 at Westminster Tube. Would it take half an hour or should I allocate more time.

2) I plan to visit Windsor, can I use my Oyster(if yes, how much for the return) or do I need a paper ticket? Planning on travelling via Paddington(staying close to West Kensington/Barons Court)

Thank you!

Inge

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,173 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions: cycling in the parks/oyster for Windsor

How to get to Windsor by train (scroll to the bottom to see the section on travelcards.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g186419-c157699/Winds…

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,359 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions: cycling in the parks/oyster for Windsor

Windsor is well outside the TfL zones so you'll need to buy a separate ticket for the journey to Windsor. Rail and TfL fares are due to rise in 2012 so the return ticket from Paddington to Windsor & Eton Central may cost about a tenner.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions: cycling in the parks/oyster for Windsor

How silly of me, I completely missed the travelcard bit in the link. Thank you both for your prompt replys

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,372 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions: cycling in the parks/oyster for Windsor

Cycling is only allowed on certain designated paths in the Royal Parks. Broadly speaking it covers a few of the very widest paths which have cycle lanes marked on them, and it can be a little bit restrictive. (As an example, in Ken Gardens / Hyde Park, start at Queensway, there is the main path that runs north to south past the round pond, and then a roughly circular route via Rotten Row, Park Lane and Bayswater Road. I think there is more detailed information on the Royal Parks website.

Having said this, it's really designed to keep the narrower paths clear and safe for the benefit of pedestrians. Early on a Sunday morning there aren't that many pedestrians and if you're respectful, careful, and don't go bombing along you won't be shouted at. Common sense generally prevails.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions: cycling in the parks/oyster for Windsor

Thanks Canucks that sounds good, will have a look at the website

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,372 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions: cycling in the parks/oyster for Windsor

No problem, I found a document on the cycling policy of the Royal Parks:

royalparks.org.uk/docs/The_Royal_Parks_Cycli…

It's a bit heavy going, but as I say, common sense prevails.

Edited: 29 September 2011, 21:19
West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions: cycling in the parks/oyster for Windsor

On Sundays, the Mall, i.e. the road between Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square, is closed to automobile traffic but OK for cyclists so you can also cycle along that road.

Yes, you can cycle through Kensington Gardens - Hyde Park - Green Park - St James Park, and it is a pleasant thing to do on a Sunday morning. Lots of other people will think the same, so get a bike somewhere outside the parks and cycle into them, rather than hope to find a bicycle in the parks because they may all have been taken. It would take more than half an hour but less than an hour.

I think that this is a very good idea.

Edited: 29 September 2011, 21:46
Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions: cycling in the parks/oyster for Windsor

Thanks Canucks and Glynn, thats my sunday morning sorted then :)

As for busy roads if there are many pedestrians I usually just walk along with them for a bit rather then trying to squeeze my way through. I also come across quite a few dogs during my morning cycle to work, so am used to keeping an eye on them.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,576 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions: cycling in the parks/oyster for Windsor

Ah excellent, the bicycle path are very clear on the pdf map:

royalparks.org.uk/docs/park_maps/KensingtonG…

Plus the website feautures an image of a family cycling :)

http://www.royalparks.gov.uk/Home.aspx

Is it March yet?

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions: cycling in the parks/oyster for Windsor

There is a bike rack just inside the gate opposite Queensway Station. I have never seen it empty before 10:00 so you should be able to get a bike there.