We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transportation

New City, New York
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Public transportation

Will be in London in November. What kind of pass should we purchase - and where should we buy it?

Myrna

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public transportation

For how long ?

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public transportation

That would depend on how long you will be in London, where you are staying, how many of you there are, and if you plan to see some sights that you may be able to take advantage of 2 for 1 offers.

ktown

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public transportation

What ^^^ say, plus how are you arriving in and departing from London; flight (which airport) or train from Europe, or ...? As much information please, including dates.

4. Re: Public transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 October 2011, 01:10
Edited: 01 October 2011, 01:10
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,706 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public transportation

I deleted my own post above, as a reread through Migg's earlier posts brought up some conflicting dates.

Dates of arrival appear to be either Oct 30 or 1 Nov, and departure either Nov 3 or 4. It looks like they are arriving from Southampton by bus and are staying at the Darlington Hyde Park hotel in Sussex Gardens.

One day travel cards for zones 1-2 cost £6.60 for off peak travel (after 9.30am) and £8 for anytime, and are good for travel on bus, tube, DLR and train within the permitted zones. The seven day travelcard for zones 1-2 costs £27.60 and can be at any time during the day.

The seven day card will be best if your stay is 5 days or longer, or 4 days if you make any journey before 9.30am (even just one bus ride on one morning). For a stay of 3 days or fewer individual one day cards are best.

If your bus arrives at Victoria Coach Station, I would walk about 5 minutes to Victoria Railway station, go to the ticket counters opposite platform 14 on the main concourse, and buy the travel cards there. You will then have the National Rail version on paper, which qualifies you for the 2 for 1 offers from daysoutguide (and no you don't have to use any national rail train). If you are going with individual one day cards, you may buy them for future days' use at the same time.

nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/VIC/objectva…

http://www.daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london

You mentioned in one post about visiting Hampton Court, which is in zone 6. If you were to go there, use your travel card to get to either Victoria or Waterloo stations, show the cards to the ticket clerk, and s/he will sell you a cheaper ticket from the zone 2 boundary to HC.

Edited: 01 October 2011, 01:12
New City, New York
Level Contributor
127 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Public transportation

We are arriving in Southampton on Nov.30, staying one night and going to London -probably by bus the next day. We are staying at the Darlington Hyde Park. Oct.31-Nov3

The only places I am sure I want to go to are the Hampton Court and the Churchill Museum. We also have a pass to Ripley's Believe it or Not.

Last time we visited (many years ago), it was cheaper to buy the travel card here in the US, but I am not sure that is true anymore.

7. Re: Public transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 22:17