We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel advice - so confused

Level Contributor
48 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Travel advice - so confused

I have read up over the past 2 days as much as i can about Oyster cards and travel cards, but the more i read the more confused I get! If anyone can just tell me which is the best option for our stay in London that !

Two adults arriving to Heathrow next Tue, our hotel is beside the airport and there is free bus to this, we will more than likely spend that day in London, zones one and2, therefore get the Heathrow connect to Paddington. Our next two days we are spending at Thorpe Pk and get the 51 bus from Heathrow to there. Our last day we will spend in London ( Again Zones 1 and 2) and get the train to Birmingham for a few days from where we will depart home. (I know this train journey will need a seperate ticket which i intend to book online in advance)

So the best option for us for travel to and from Heathrow for 2 days, and within London Zones 1 & 2 for these days and for the 51 bus for two days to Thorpe PK?? I think form my reading the many posts that the best option is to get a 7 day travel card and use PAYG for getting from Heathrow into Zones 1 & 2?? will his Oyster card also cover the 51 bus to Thorpe pk? I am so confused at this stage I dont even know if my question makes sense!!!

Please Help Me!!!

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath from...
5,295 Reviews
from US$126.30*
Likely To Sell Out
Warner Bros Harry Potter Admission...
475 Reviews
from US$105.00*
Special Offer
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, and Bath...
2,091 Reviews
from US$134.10*
Likely To Sell Out
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
465 Reviews
from US$333.40*
London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
57,027 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel advice - so confused

Booking a Heathrow hotel for sightseeing in London isn't necessarily the best idea as travel from hotel to the Underground will take some time. What hotel have you booked, please?

If you want to head to central London on Tuesday then taking Connect will add time and cost to the journey. One day off peak Travelcards for zones 1 - 6 will cost £8 for adults and will not only include the Underground trip from the airport to central London and back again but can be used on all modes of transport in the city itself.

But if you want to pay the lowest fares for the journey to and from LHR to Thorpe Park then use PAYG on Oyster. The daily cap for off peak journeys in zones 1 - 6 will still be £8 and you'll pay the Oyster fare on the number 51 to and from Thorpe Park.

£25 of PAYG money on each Oyster card - each person must use his or her own - should be sufficient for your stay. The £5 deposit for each Oyster card plus any unused PAYG money will be refunded when you hand in the card at a Tube ticket office at the end of your stay.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,074 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel advice - so confused

Can you change your hotel, and stay in Central London? Then get train to Staines/Thorpe Park.

If not, an All zones 1-day travelcard would probably be your simplest option. I'm not sure if Thorpe Park is within the zone system, probably not, so your bus fare would be separate.

Will you be going to attractions in the www.daysoutguide.co.uk ? (2-4-1 offers?)

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,759 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel advice - so confused

Your basic problem is staying at Heathrow for a visit to London - that's why there's so much confusion.

To get to & from central London and to & from Thorpe Park get an Oystercard and load it with about £20 of cash. don't use the Heathrow Connect as it costs more and doesn't put you into central London

If you want to use the offers on Daysoutguide,com then you'll need to travel into Central London, find a train station, go to the ticket office there and buy a 1 day zone 1-2 Travelcard and use that for all your travel EXCEPT back to Heathrow. If you aren't interested then just keep using the Oystercard

As for getting to Birmingham - just use a National Express coach from Heathrow.

Edited: 01 October 2011, 18:49
Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel advice - so confused

Poor choice for Heathrow Hotel if you are going to be In the city on a daily basis. Can you change?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,901 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel advice - so confused

Heathrow certainly isn't ideal, though it looks like your main purpose is two days at Thorpe Park. Note that the #51 bus isn't operated by TFL so you probably won't be able to use oyster, and that it's only an hourly service from/to Terminal 5. If you can't change the hotel, then there's not much that can be done, and if you do want to visit London on day four and then continue to Birmingham, you'll have to stow your luggage in the Excess Baggage facility at say Euston for say £8.50 per item.

If it is possible to change hotels, I would opt for somewhere central, either at Euston or Kings Cross (very convenient for your onward journey), or Earls Court (very convenient for your day of arrival and pretty convenient for travel out to Thorpe Park). You can get the tube to these locations from Heathrow without much problem. This will give you more time in London and things to do in the evening, and if anything you want to visit is covered by the 2 for 1 offers it will be much easier to get the appropriate rail travelcards if based in London.

If staying around Earls Court you can get to Thorpe Park by train from nearby West Brompton to Staines with a change at Clapham Junction.

If it is possible to change hotel, come back here and we can help with ore detailed transport options. If not, then I think heeding TravellerPlus and Alanrow's advice is the best.

Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel advice - so confused

I'm sure the 51 won't take Oyster

Level Contributor
48 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel advice - so confused

Thanks everyone for your advice. I know that staying at Heathrow isnt the best option for seeing London but our main purpose for the trip is for Thorpe pk and then we got an extra night added to our hotel stay as a surprise from a friend. Overall the cost for 3 nights at hotel and 2 days at the park is less than £100 each so we felt that we just couldnt pass up that offer even though it makes it more awkward for travelling into London. So the best bet is for one day travel cards for the first and last days for going to centre and pay seperately for bus to Thorpe park! We wont have much luggage so the left luggage will b a good option for us!

Thanks so much for all your help, my head is much less confused and we're all set to go!!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel advice - so confused

The London Transport bus route 51 goes from Woolwich to Orpington. This is not the route you want.

I have no idea who operates the 51 between Heathrow and Brooklands, but it certainly won't take Oyster cards.

9. Re: Travel advice - so confused

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 00:19