We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to find toy/model cars

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
382 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to find toy/model cars

Hello!

Searched the forums with about every combination of words I could imagine as well as Google but coming up empty handed. Wondering where the best place(s) are to look for model cars - and not necessarily brand new ones. My dad is a huge Studebaker fan, so I am always looking for those but he specifically would like a 1957-58 MG Magnette. Which is the best place to look for something like this? I'm talking the smaller "Matchbox" style models (but bigger than those) - not the kind you put together or have remote controls, etc. Just your basic die-cast model car, but older cars.

Thanks!

Kerry

P.S. Might I throw out there a suggested pub meet date of Dec. 2nd? :)

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to find toy/model cars

Have you looked at Modelzone in Holborn? They have a MGZA Magnette, although that looks like it might be a little early for you. They're usually helpful anyway so worth speaking to, and the shop is central (if you're passing through London)

www.modelzone.co.uk/mgza-magnette-red.html

Edited: 03 October 2011, 19:17
Finland
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to find toy/model cars

Last time I visited London, there was a car model store on St. Martin's Lane.

Europe
Level Contributor
21 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to find toy/model cars

That would be Martin's, I think. Sadly, they seem to have moved their operations online http://www.stmartinsmodelcars.co.uk/

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
382 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to find toy/model cars

Yeah, I saw their online site and was sad to see the actual store had closed. Perhaps if I find something there, I can arrange to have it shipped to my hotel for pick up when I arrive. Would really like to be able to pick them up and look at them first, though.

Thanks,

Kerry

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to find toy/model cars

+ 1 on Modelzone, they have just about any type of die cast vehicle on the market. If it's not in there, it probably isn't in production any more.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
382 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to find toy/model cars

Modelzone - looks like the perfect place! Thanks Canucks & Sarah :)

Edited: 03 October 2011, 20:07
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
110 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to find toy/model cars

The MG Magnette model has been released by "Oxford Diecast" it might be easier to buy direct from them on line. Unfortunately the real toyshops seem to have gone except the likes of Hamleys and Modelzone, both which I found were very disappointing in terms of range and price. Oxford Die Cast has a good post service and don't overcharge for delivery, it's an expensive model at about 15.00. The model looks to be very high quality.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to find toy/model cars

Did you see post #4 by the OP?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
110 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to find toy/model cars

oxforddiecast.co.uk/MGZ008%20Grey%20MGZB.htm

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,585 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to find toy/model cars

You might consider the auction house in Chiswick. They usually have a selection of toys in various states of repair in the upstairs room to the rear.

If you wish to dine in the area, La Trompette might be a good choice.

www.chiswickauctions.co.uk

www.latrompette.co.uk