We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do before check in in South Kensington

Glenmoore, PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What to do before check in in South Kensington

Any suggestions for places to eat or hang out or see in South Kensington near Gloucester tube? My family will be arriving in London in AM, 7:45 arrival, I know we husband, 2 teen girls, myself, will be dealing with jet lag. Hotel is Holiday Inn Kensington. Suggestions for this day? I planned on Cruise of Seine then Tour Eiffel. I will be in London for 5 days> Please provide input if you can suggest switching another site on this day. I want the family to see a "must see" while being sleep deprived. Thank you kindly!

Savannah, GA
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do before check in in South Kensington

Girl, you're really gonna be stretching yourself on this Cruise of Seine and Tour Eiffel "thang" on your first day in LONDON! Also, I might be so bold as to suggest that a "must see" on a sleep deprived day - especially if you're exposing teens to this "joy" - is a total waste. Save "must sees" for alert days. My teen-aged son and I used to do what we called "walk and gawk" on first day. Most on this site will affirm that fresh air and exercise will sometimes slightly relieve, if not banish, jet lag. Take the tube to Westminister and walk along the bridge, gawking at Big Ben, Houses of Parliament, and the London Eye. Because The Eye is such an Eye Opener, this might be a good day to do this. Reserve in advance so that the jet-lagged family is not subjected to standing in line (standing in one place is a killer on day one!)to await boarding. I'm a great proponent of EATING on day one, too. It's just a comfort when you are feeling laggy (a new word) and out of sorts. I understand there is a great pizza place - a cut above - within sight of the Eye and that you can even book a package that includes your Flight tickets and a meal there.

I do not know the name right offhand, but believe you'll see it if you go to the Eye site: www.londoneye.com. Just a few suggestions. You'll have a marvelous time.

Seattle
Level Contributor
9,650 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do before check in in South Kensington

Patty: There are lots of eating places in or near the Gloucester Road tube. Also, in the mini-mall right next to the station is a Waitrose grocery store and a few blocks from that is a giant Sainsbury so you can always pick up some food and eat in your room.

London
Level Contributor
561 posts
304 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do before check in in South Kensington

South Kensington is the home of the Science Museum, the Natural History Museum and the Victoria & Albert Museum.

That little lot should keep you amused for hours.

www.sciencemuseum.org.uk

www.nhm.ac.uk

www.vam.ac.uk

Not far away you also have Kensington Palace, Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park (including the Diana Memorial Fountain) and Harrods, a large 'corner shop' in Knightsbridge.

I'd consult a map before setting out in search of the Seine and the Eiffel Tower. They are definitely not on the Tube.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,341 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do before check in in South Kensington

If you're staying at the HI and they will store your bags, then arrange that, then go back to the tube station. Bus number 49 (stay on the same side of the road as the station) will take you towards Hyde Park, then turns left into Kensington Road towards High St Ken. Have a meander through the park to clear the cobwebs, then head north along Kensington Church Street a bit for coffee and pastry at Maison Blanc. If not there, then there are plenty of places from which to choose on the High Street plus window shopping for the girls.

You could always hop on bus 74 (heading east along the Cromwell Road) towards the V&A and Knightsbridge, as I'm sure you'd find something around there to occupy your time, as well as a cafe or four.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
180 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do before check in in South Kensington

"Ask" -- a chain of very good casual restaurants -- is on Cromwell Road, just off Gloucester -- come out of the Gloucester Road tube station, turn left and go around the corner -- it's right there. In the same building with the supermarket. Wonderful salads, soups, pizza -- very healthful stuff. As for a walk, it's nice to walk north on Gloucester Road to Kensington Gardens -- go straight into the garden, and you'll soon see the Palace on your left & the small lake with swans in front of you. Walk around it and then walk east through Hyde Park -- and wind up at Hyde Park corner. Good exercise, and lots of friendly people walking their dogs. And then have lunch at Harvey Nichols 5th floor (if you have a lot to spend) or Wagamama in the basement of H.N. (if you're on a budget).

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do before check in in South Kensington

I am total confused by this and your other posts.

From what I can make out you fly into Paris on Friday 14th April, spend 3/4 days in Paris and then plan on catching the Eurostar to London on the 17th. This is OK except there isn't a ES train which arrives in London at 7:45 the earliest on the 17th arrives at 9:59.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do before check in in South Kensington

My mistake, you are coming on the 7th April. There is a train which leaves Paris at 6:22 and arives at Waterloo at 7:58. You won't be "jet lagged" from this. A little tired from having to get up before 6:00 perhaps.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
5,456 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to do before check in in South Kensington

Maybe you're already practicing having jetlag? ; )