We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to travel from London to Manchester

Bangkok, Thailand
9 posts
Save Topic
Best way to travel from London to Manchester

Hello, what is the best method to travel from Lodon to Manchester? I'm thinking about taking a train from Paddington to Picacadily Manchester. We are 4 adults. Travel date is leaving Oct 22 in the morning and be back Oct 24 night. The price for round trip that I found is about 220-240 pounds for 4 adults. Do you guys know of any extra discount I can get?

Thank you very much for your help!

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,377 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to travel from London to Manchester

Best prices for train travel are around 12 weeks before travel, but £60 return sounds about right. Or it may be that you are looking at prices from Paddington to Manchester Piccadilly which would add extra legs on the journey as Manchester trains leave from London Euston. Try searching for that on www.nationalrail.co.uk

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,230 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to travel from London to Manchester

Hi,

A cheaper way would be by coach. However, this is much slower. I'll find the link and send it to you.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,901 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to travel from London to Manchester

You want Virgin Trains from Euston for Manchester.

An off-peak return at £70.00 per person will give you flexibility. You can travel out on any train on Saturday 22nd; and on the return on Monday 24th you can use any train after 09.35 from Manchester (as you say you want to be back in London at night that won't be an issue. And you don't even need to book this in advance, you can buy at the station.

www.virgintrains.co.uk

National Express coaches also run between the two cities and are (usually) cheaper but (almost always) slower.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best way to travel from London to Manchester

Hi,

Have a look at this site, you'll be tied to specific trains, but you can do the journey -London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly- for £36.00 each, £144.00 in total.

http://www.farefinder.virgintrains.co.uk/

Good luck!

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to travel from London to Manchester

irlgeo: is that £36 for a single journey or a return journey?

But irlgeo and the experts on the Manchester forum probably know most about this, so do post your question there as well

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g187069-i236-Man…

You can probably save a little by getting a slow train from London to Birmingham with Chiltern Railways, and then getting a train, or a coach, from there. Have a look at the Chiltern Railways website.

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,819 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to travel from London to Manchester

Hi,

Sorry Glyn, that's the return fare. The return journey involves one change at Birmingham New Street. It may not be convenient, as it gets into Euston quite late.

The cheapest return for direct trains, the return train arriving at Euston in the late Evening, would be £40.50 each, total for 4 would be £162.00.

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best way to travel from London to Manchester

Solomon E: in that case, irlgeo's suggestion is much better than mine was. I think that he's just saved you more than £80.

8. Re: Best way to travel from London to Manchester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 October 2012, 01:19