We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bridal dress shopping

Level Contributor
434 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
bridal dress shopping

I am wanting to help my daughter choose a bride dress for her wedding in Australia next year. She is currently living in london and I will be there with her for a week between 26 dec and 1 jan 2012. Will the bridal stores be open at this time of the year in london and Paris? Do you have tobook appointments in advance to try on dresses? is it worth traveling to paris for a bridal shoopping dress experience? Where would buying a dress be more affordable Sydney, London, Paris? Any recommendations for stores would be appreciated. This is a totally new experience and wouldnt want her to get back to sydney and then find things are more expensive and less choice here.

Borough Market
Flea & Street Markets
Camden Market
Flea & Street Markets,
Covent Garden
Flea & Street Markets, Points of Interest & Landmarks,
Pop Brixton
Flea & Street Markets, Shopping Malls
Level Contributor
29,470 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bridal dress shopping

Blimy, you make up your mind quick, a few minutes ago you were not sure whether you would arrive on 23rd or 26th!!

There will be Bridal stores open, they will also have sales on, especially in London, just after Christmas. You can also check out the big department stores.

I have never been shopping for a Brides dress, so have no idea whether they will be cheaper here, Paris or Sydney.

Why don't you look at some dress shops at home first?? You are well placed to do that now, aren't you?? Then at least you will have an idea of prices and the variety of styles that are available before you 'hit the road'!

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,192 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bridal dress shopping

Whether you need to book depends on how 'high end' they are. Many of the London bridal shops buy their dresses from France, or more frequently Spain and they typically take six months or so to arrive.

As with everything the price range is huge, so it depends which end of the market you are looking at . A close family member used Mirror Mirror and was very happy with them.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bridal dress shopping

Where would buying a dress be more affordable Sydney, London, Paris? Any recommendations for stores would be appreciated.

Jump on ebay, you will be gobsmacked by the choice and all made to measure. many girls are choosing their dresses this way and saving heaps of money that can be used for other things. This is a great option if your daughter is looking at saving money.

The other question is what type of dress does your daughter want? Is she looking for just off the rack or does she want to make a statement and tell everyone that she bought her dress in London or Paris. Collete Dinigan does some amazing wedding dresses and so does Alex Perry, both pricey but certainly stylish and both Australian designers. Would be my first choice.

Level Contributor
83 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bridal dress shopping

First off Congradulations!! It is an exciting time for both of you.

Be very wary of eBay dresses. Many of them are knockoffs of designer styles made in the orient. Th prices are quite low but so is the quality.

Unless your daughter is looking for something right off the rack most dresses are made to measure and take 4-6months to order and receive. She will then have to go for fittings. So first question is will she still be in London when the dress comes in or if not does she want to bring it home to get altered?

I don't know whether there are sample sales or trunck shows etc at Christmas time. If there are they are great time to buy dresses at discount. However that is not the time to go gown shopping for the first time. The sales are usually quite frenetic and leave little time for deliberation.

My suggestion is that your daughter schedule appointments at a shop or two now to start the process and see what general shape, style and color she likes. Then when you arrive go with her to see her top favorites and then go to sales together if they are on.

Good Luck and have fun.

Level Contributor
434 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: bridal dress shopping

thanks so much for all the good advice. I agree with your thoughts. She plans to do that but I would soooo have loved to have gone with her. unfortunately that cant happen but we will try to make the most of what the situation is.

Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bridal dress shopping

She could always try googling Thelma Nadine..........

Level Contributor
49,560 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bridal dress shopping

<<Will the bridal stores be open at this time of the year in london and Paris?>>

You just cant generalise, some will be open, some wont, you'd have to ask each specific shop, though with bank holidays and weekends, certainly in London most would have very restricted dates they will be open in this period.

<<Do you have to book appointments in advance to try on dresses?>>

Generally, yes (not that I make a habit of it personally :-) but my daughter got married recently )

<< is it worth traveling to paris for a bridal shoopping dress experience? >>

Given what you go on to say below, I'd say "definitely not".

<<Where would buying a dress be more affordable Sydney, London, Paris?>>

No way you can generalise, because of the huge range of prices. You could buy a £200 or a £2,000 dress in any of these places.

<<This is a totally new experience and wouldnt want her to get back to sydney and then find things are more expensive and less choice here>>

Unless you can find one "off the shelf" that either fits perfectly or is close enough, and crucially **can be taken away with you there and then**, this wont probably work if she is going back to Oz soon. There is a multi-month wait because they order it in, so they would them have to ship it back to Oz (with subsequent cost and delay) and then you'd have to find someone locally to adjust it.

So my suggestion is, choose, buy and fit in Oz.

The only reason this would be an issue is, say your daughter only gets back to Oz a few weeks before the wedding. In which case, she should buy and get fitted here in the UK and take it back with her or get it shipped*. I see no point at all doing it in Paris and that would be impractical for her to travel there every time a fitting was done.

* She may also wish to consider the implications of getting it back to Oz. A suitcase - risk it going astray? Hand baggage - only practical if it can be folded down into a smaller case that fits the hand baggage dimensions. Another reason to buy locally in Oz unless that is impractical because of the timing.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
9,998 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bridal dress shopping

I'm guessing the daughter wont have time to buy a dress in Australia, unless she goes for a sample sale...samples can be great bargains....but they can also be worn...fabric color changes...so many variables.

I'd start by figuring out the budget (keep in mind the cost of alterations), and then do a google search for shops that sell dresses in your price range.

Can your daughter to a "research trip" to the various department stores to check out prices, upcoming sales etc. Might be worth her time to spend a day doing some "research". That way you can narrow down the amount of time you have to dress shop, which can be frustrating.

Lastly, if she has plans to bring an "entourage" for the dress shopping, please ask her to re-think that plan. As long as she has the most important person - you - that's all she needs.

Edited: 11 October 2011, 10:54
London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bridal dress shopping

Some department stores in the UK also sell wedding dresses and will have sales on after Christmas. Although the rest of the store will be pretty chaotic and overrun with bargain hunters, the wedding sections are usually tucked away on the top floor or thereabouts so should be relatively quiet.

John Lewis, House of Fraser and Debenhams all have wedding departments.

10. Re: bridal dress shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 October 2011, 11:05
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor