We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Olympic Hotel Prices

Dalton-in-Furness...
Level Contributor
124 posts
85 reviews
Save Topic
Olympic Hotel Prices

Hi,

I have luckily got tickets for a day at Wimbledon for August the 4th.

So far so good.

Finding somewhere to stay is a differant matter!!!

Have tried lots of websites but there is either no availability, or crazy prices (i.e. all Premier inns seem to be £199 per night across the board)!

Anyone have any idea's?

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Olympic Hotel Prices

I guess you either pay up at the prices being asked or hold your nerve until much closer the time.

Evidently the pattern in the last few olympics has been unaffordable hotel prices in the leadup followed by very cheap rates close to the event when the only hotels that have decent occupancy levels are the top of the range hotels occupied by all the freeloader VIP's and Olympic Committees.

The same thing happened with the royal wedding weekend this year in London. As soon as the wedding date was announced hotels doubled or trebled their rates for that weekend.

Although there was a big crowd for the wedding, everybody else steered well clear of London that weekend and room rates if you bought 2 weeks before the event had dropped to distress levels, the lowest room rates this year were over the royal wedding weekend.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,766 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Olympic Hotel Prices

Why stay in London from where you would have to travel to Wimbledon?

Stay somewhere like Guildford, and get the train in.

Or in the suburbs like Kingston, Twickenham, Richmond, etc

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
21,094 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Olympic Hotel Prices

You could try Datchet, Ascot and Windsor all of which are served by rail.

4. Re: Olympic Hotel Prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 October 2011, 15:35
Southampton
Level Contributor
4,246 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Olympic Hotel Prices

There are a lot of B&Bs in Wimbledon which I have used when going to the tennis, so you could try these instead of the chain hotels.

eg

wimbledonvisitor.com/sites/marple_cottage.ht…

(an old favourite when I used to live up north, but I haven't stayed there for years now)

6. Re: Olympic Hotel Prices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 14:16