We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP - Cottage Accommodation - easily accessible to London

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland Region...
14 posts
Save Topic
HELP - Cottage Accommodation - easily accessible to London

HI there - well I dont really know where to start - hubby kids (7 & 10) and I are going to Wales for a wedding as part of our 4 1/2 month trip to Europe and want to stop on the way for a week in a cottage that is away from the city hustle and bustle but still easily accessible to London so we can do a couple of day trips into London itself and do other things like see the countryside and Stonehenge etc whilst there. - any help and advice greatly appreciated@

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,397 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP - Cottage Accommodation - easily accessible to London

I think you should find a sweet little cottage somewhere (like the Cotswolds) for exploring, and when you come to London, stay in a hotel there.

The novelty of 3 hours a day on a train will get old quickly.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP - Cottage Accommodation - easily accessible to London

I agree with Laura. Without knowing you it's hard to know exactly you mean by 'away from the city hustle and bustle' - for me that means outside the Circle line but then I've lived in cities most of my life. If you really want a traditional English country cottage, and especially if you want to explore the area west of London (Stonehenge, Cotswolds, Oxford, maybe Dorset etc, there are a lot of things to do and see), then you're much better off doing that separately and then spending a couple of 'busy' days staying in London itself. Alternatively rent a cottage in Wales for a few days, then come to London and do Stonehenge as a day trip from there or even on the way back to London. Wales is lovely too. It also depends on how much time you want to spend in each place, so maybe decide that first.

Edited: 13 October 2011, 07:51
Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,543 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP - Cottage Accommodation - easily accessible to London

Why not look at a railway map and timetable?

Many places are within an hour on the train to into central London.

Will you have a hire car? Wouldn't suggest driving into the city, but you may be able to park at a station.

Look at www.cottages4you.co.uk

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP - Cottage Accommodation - easily accessible to London

+1 LauraRW

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
20,731 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP - Cottage Accommodation - easily accessible to London

I really wouldn't subject two small children to over an hour's commute each way every day which will add to the costs and wear everybody to a frazzle. Bear in mind most 'cottages' are not necessarily slap bang next to good train routes so not only will you pay extra in train fares and travel on overcrowded trains but have to fork out for station parking as well if you can get any arriving any time after about 7.30 am.

I would do as suggested and stay in a country cottage (wherever) then decamp to the city and stay as centrally as you can,even if it's for fewer days. Quality over quantity.

Edited: 13 October 2011, 18:08
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,119 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP - Cottage Accommodation - easily accessible to London

This cottage rental site has some lovely places (I bookmarked it a few years ago), you can spend hours searching through it...........

http://www.english-country-cottages.co.uk/

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: HELP - Cottage Accommodation - easily accessible to London

There are actually parts of Greater London which have a semi rural feel and yet are within the London Tube, bus and train network, so you could have peace and quiet and still be in central London in 30-45 minutes. Richmond on Thames is a good example, and to the north-east you have places like Epping.

Auckland Region...
14 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: HELP - Cottage Accommodation - easily accessible to London

Thanks for all the advice! We have looked at a place in the Crystal Palace area in Bromley? Owner says it is near a mainline station - it is an apartment really not a cottage as such which would have been nice - but this still has a country feel about it and only takes 20-25 mins to get into London she says - and we prob only need 2 days there at most. We are staying in Wales the next week in Penlan Holiday Village in a cottage there so we can cover Stonehenge for sure at some point :)

Auckland Region...
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: HELP - Cottage Accommodation - easily accessible to London

oh and no we arent looking at getting a car hence wanting something close to public transport - we dont want much eh ha ha :)

Islington
Level Contributor
1,922 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: HELP - Cottage Accommodation - easily accessible to London

Hmm, hadn't really thought of Crystal Palace as being anywhere near your criteria. It would be helpful if you could give us a more precise location (eg street name) and you might also like to take a look on Street View to see what the area looks like.