We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in a restaurant question

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
157 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in a restaurant question

How is it done in England? Is it included in the check or do you put down an extra 15% like here in the states? I've been to Germany and it's like one more of what the check was.

Any help appreciated.

Ellen

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,234 reviews
from US$140.13*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
1,957 reviews
from US$144.25*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
515 reviews
from US$97.54*
Likely To Sell Out
Harry Potter Tour of Warner Bros...
814 reviews
from US$97.54*
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

Some restaurants add a 12.5% service charge, so look to see if that is the case. This is a discretionary charge and you can have it removed if you feel the service wasn't adequate. Otherwise, tipping is up to your discretion (10%-12.5% range). No need to tip in pubs.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

The main difference to the US is that tipping really is discetionary, nobody is going to come after you if you don't tip at all.

People from countries that have no tipping culture don't tip and US people often tip 15-20%, whatever make you feel comfortable. Nether is 'wrong'

The British themselves are really confused about tipping themselves, a substantial number won't tip at all, while others may offer a 'generous' tip of 10%.

Expectations for tips also refelct the clientelle, staff in say a Marriott where most of the customers are American are used to getting tips, if you stay at a Premier Inn where the British stay they are not.

In my opinion tipping should reflect the service offered. If the waiter just hands you the menu and delivers the food to your table then thats just doing their job and shouldn't trigger a tip.

If the waiter talks you through the menu, makes recommendations that turn out to be good and treat you with reverence and a smile then start thinking about rewarding this.

On principle if a restaurant up London puts a service charge automatically on a bill I ask for another bill without the service charge and subsequently I feel less inclined to tip because of this.

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

it says on the bill if the service charge is included. If not you can leave an average 10%, but its entirely up to you, tipping in England is not as common as in States

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Level Contributor
736 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

Oh good. I'm getting popcorn in and making myself comfortable for another good thread on tipping.

:-)

UK
Level Contributor
2,574 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

If there is any confusion by the Brtish re tipping is it is becaus the HMR & C

tax authorities poked its nose into the matter and made a complete pigs ear it. - then coupled with lack of comprehension facilities as revealed in this forum Any doubt see the aspect of NIC deductions on your own pay slip. - payable only on salary and B in K on money/items received from employer.

Tips from cusotmers are not. Having for a short time been a waiter with conspicuous lack of success very badly paid

Be generous it is the velocity of money that matters & sends world round

Regmaiche

Windsor
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

I've never understood the logic of tipping. Why tip a waiter, but not a bank teller or an airline stewardess?

In the US you go with the flow so as not to cause offence, but I presume the original intention of encouraging better performance has long since dissappeared. Seems to be just part of the pay packet there.

Some US people wink and say it 'oils the wheels' and then get all offended and heavy with countries that use bribes as a way of life - whats the difference?

lost in Ohio
Level Contributor
2,274 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

Since you ask --= the origin of the habit is TIPS -- not TIP -- and that stands for "To Insure Prompt Service" and it was given at the beginning of the service, not at the end.

Of course, that's not the way most folks see it anymore.

I am fond of a story an old friend told me. He really wanted his daughter's wedding to be a success -- so he cut up 10 $100 bills and gave the caterer half of each bill -- and told him he'd get the other halves if he was satisfied.

While the legalities are arguable, it worked for him.

Wales
Level Contributor
155 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

Tip if you have been looked after. It is not up to the customer to subsidise staffs wages. If every table left £3 tip, the waiter would be nicely off.

After all you don't tip the train driver as you pass his engine !!

Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
29,203 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

alias Ned Flanders - Likewise re. tipping thread. We had 110 mostly angry posts on the Prague forum recently on this subject, and then there was one on the Munich forum that ended up getting all emotional ... I don't know what it is about tipping, it somehow brings out the worst in people ...

Basically in continental Europe tips are not expected - round up a couple of coins if deserved. In US it seems that tips are bandied about whatever the service, in the UK it is somewhere in between.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,112 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

I like handfordr's summary.

But unfortunately, threads like these always end in harsh words and "closed topic."

Pass the popcorn.