We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping in a restaurant question

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
157 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping in a restaurant question

How is it done in England? Is it included in the check or do you put down an extra 15% like here in the states? I've been to Germany and it's like one more of what the check was.

Any help appreciated.

Ellen

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,235 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

Very many thanks to CRN for the definitive explanation of the process.

Holmfirth, United...
Level Contributor
368 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

Being a tight Yorkshire man I tip aproximately 10% for a good service and good quality food .. In tourist London as well as all tourist traps quality of food and service are usually lower as they know your unlikely to ever comeback for that reason tips are likely to be rounded up slightly ie £38 to £40

If I pay the exact bill it's usually because I want to show the point, or I don't expect to tip ie small pay at counter beforehand Coffee sandwich shop or pub bar

Finally go to India tipping is really confusing and really difficult to keep a ready supply of small notes to tip the endless queue of bellboys waiters and others

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

>>Since you ask --= the origin of the habit is TIPS -- not TIP -- and that stands for "To Insure Prompt Service" and it was given at the beginning of the service, not at the end.<<

Urban myth

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,550 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

The word would be ENSURE anyway if that was the case, not insure. To ensure is to make sure something will happen, to insure means to guarantee against some sort of loss.

Never heard of teps

15. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 October 2011, 14:05
East Sussex, United...
Destination Expert
for West Sussex, East Sussex
Level Contributor
5,290 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/tip.asp

Tip (!) : A 10% is generally included in Chinatown - it'll be noted on the menu, But if the bill is in Chinese (which it generally is), then you may not spot it on there. So if you pay the bill in full, you don't need to leave a tip.

Mike

Australia
Level Contributor
89 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

Just came back from both the US and England.

England - I did notice some bills included a service charge but otherwise I didn't leave a tip (except to round up amounts). Service was good but, nothing extraordinary.

I don't get how tips encourage good service....I found I got either extremely good or terrible service in the US. And terrible service from some people who don't get tips (drivers, rail attendants, shop attendants etc).

Crathie
Level Contributor
821 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

Thanks for the popcorn ;-)

I have heard that TIP explanation before when in the US earlier this year. It was in the information pack handed out to me by the tour guide on the coach tour of California which I joined in LA. I had a wry chuckle to read that a C17th English innkeeper was responsible for the start of the tipping culture by placing a brass pot outside his inn with the sign "To Ensure Promptitude" written on it. As has already been pointed out, the correct word would be "ensure" and not "insure", which made me think the whole explanation was an urban/internet myth. We don't TEP, do we?

I don't mind tipping if I receive good service, but there were a few instances when I was certainly not inclined to tip. One happened after the main tour when I was in LA for a few extra days and concerned the driver of the courtesy shuttle bus which took hotel guests to Universal Studios. There was a big sign in the cab saying "Your driver would appreciate a tip" and he reinforced this by rattling a jar in front of people as they exited the vehicle. I did not see one tip going into the jar and why should anyone tip a driver who made no effort to greet his passengers, or show any regard for their safety by helping them onto or off the bus? He just sat mute, drove the shuttle bus and that was it.

I dunno, to tip or not to tip........................

Edited: 15 October 2011, 14:08
Brno, Czech Republic
Destination Expert
for Czech Republic, Slovakia, Train Travel
Level Contributor
28,605 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

Here's one I researched before:

An old English word for tip is 'vail' - the Oxford English Dictionary provides such examples as:

1653 MILTON Hirelings Wks. 1851 V. 362 Why should he, like a Servant, seek Vails over and above his Wages?

1860 SMILES Self Help vii. 188 One of the minor social evils..was the custom of what was called vails giving.

1859 THACKERAY Virgin. i, The lacqueys rose up from their cards to open the door to him, in order to get their ‘vails’.

and, interestingly:

1904 Times 20 Aug. 12/6 English visitors measure their vails..with discretion..in America.

20. Re: Tipping in a restaurant question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 07:15