We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM charges- expensive?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Barrie
Level Contributor
555 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
ATM charges- expensive?

When I get to England and use my ATM card (from Canada) is there a big charge to use it, or does it quite nicely come out of my account with no charge? My bank is TDCanada Trust so there won't be a bank like this in England. Is there a bank I should be changing to so that I don't have to pay big fees? I have no idea what banks England has that Canada has as well.

Williamsburg...
Destination Expert
for Williamsburg
Level Contributor
6,787 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM charges- expensive?

I found two ATMs that didn't charge fees - Lloyd's and NatWest, and I'm sure there are many more. My bank, however, charged me an out-of-network fee of $2US for each withdrawal. My bank charged very close to the exchange rate, as well, so I didn't feel that the charges were exorbitant. I also used my debit card for other things such as Travelcards and rail passes, restaurant meals, and such, and again the money taken out matched pretty closely with the exchange rate.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM charges- expensive?

If you search this forum under 'ATM', you'll find many threads that have discussed this issue. In general, the amount of the charge will depend on your issuing bank, and can usually be found in the small print of your Terms & Conditions. If not, ask your bank directly.

Yalesville...
Level Contributor
17,914 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM charges- expensive?

Your best bet is to contact whomever issued the ATM card and enquire about using some other institutions ATM.

Last February, I used a Bank of America ATM in London and incurred no surcharge for my withdrawals.

Not sure if that policy is still in effect, however if I were you, I'd contact BoA for their current ATM policies.

Good luck.

Poppa

Texas
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM charges- expensive?

If you have B of A you can use Barclays ATMs with no charge. Otherwise they may charge up to $5.00 per transaction.

Cleveland, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Cleveland
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM charges- expensive?

Marks & Spencers also have free ATM machines -however, your bank may charge you for the transaction.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM charges- expensive?

The people on the Paris forum were saying that the bank takes the money out of your primary account. Is this the same in Britain?

Say I have two accounts chequing and saving. If the primary account is seen as being chequing than I would not be able to get money from the savings.

Laing ~> Were you at that Live 8 concert held in Barrie?

Barrie
Level Contributor
555 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM charges- expensive?

Thanks! Just phoned, (why I didn't think of this I don't know), and it's only $1.50 every time I use it! Cheap! Hey just phoned Visa as well. NOT the cheaper way to go as they put a 2.5% charge on top of the amount you spend plus the exchange! Glad This was cleared up! Ah it's about the other post...the one about the snow in London??? Come on...I'm trying to get away from it guys!!!

Barrie
Level Contributor
555 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM charges- expensive?

Hello Calgary! Your post came in as I was writing the other one. Wanted to go, but a kazillion people in little 'ol Barrie, so we went north to the cottage and watched it on tv!!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ATM charges- expensive?

Laing ~> My brother and family did not go either and they live in Barrie. My business partner grew up in Wasaga Beach.

Hey, did you ask about the account that it comes off of. If you can make a choice on the ATM machine or if it comes automatically off of the primary account?

London, United...
Level Contributor
683 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: ATM charges- expensive?

If you're careful, the only charges that you should incur are those from your own bank. In the UK, cash machines that are owned by the banks, ie. with the Bank's name on it, generally found at their branches, stations, large supermarkets and shopping malls etc, do not charge you a fee. 'Convenience' machines, owned by other private companies, generally stand alone rather than built into the wall and found in places like small shops, petrol stations, attractions and pubs, will charge a fee, generally between £1 and £3 depending on location. There should be some sort of warning of the charge, either on the machine or on-screen when you confirm the transaction. It shouldn't be hard in most cases to find a free machine.