We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jogging in London - how and where

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
73 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Jogging in London - how and where

I'll travelling to London in Feburary for holiday. My day would usually begin with a small jog (just 40 minutes, I'm not a marathon runner), so whenever I look for a hotel, I try to scout any jogging areas nearby. And the thing is, having a hotel near a major park, while a lovely thing, seems so far to be very very expensive. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

My question then is simply this, is it okay to jog along the streets of London (say a non-dodgy looking residential street)? Or do people usually don't do things like that?

As long I don't make a lot of noise or be irritating, it should be fine right? Or would locals start staring at the weird foreigner jogging near their houses?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Jogging in London - how and where

Just wondering if you had a genuine basis for the FUD about jogging in quiet parks in London.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Jogging in London - how and where

<< I would not wish to worry the OP but...>>

Then with respect why make such a post, based on what exactly ?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,686 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Jogging in London - how and where

The only problem you'll have with early morning jogging in London parks is avoiding being mowed down by other joggers, cyclists, horseriders (not all parks obviously), British military fitness members and the like. In all weathers.

West of England
Level Contributor
17 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Jogging in London - how and where

You'll find weird locals pounding the streets in many areas, never mind weird foreigners ! Tourist Londn is as safe as most big cities,and joggers are unlikely to be carrying anything worth mugging them for. Your hotel reception may even be able to suggest some popular local jogging routes.

If you end up a bit further out, you may want to try one of these: www.parkrun.com/events/uk/greaterlondon

London is perhaps surprisingly green, I'd be surprised if you don't find at least a recreation ground or towpath as well as a few quiet streets somewhere near your hotel.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Jogging in London - how and where

thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23919950…

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-203593/Knife-ma…

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/5069

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Jogging in London - how and where

Yes, very good, sweetie. Not that you would "wish to worry the OP ", of course.

However, the plural of "anecdote" is not "data". So, please go away and do a proper statistical analysis to tell us how many people have jogged in all London parks in the 8 years between those two events it took you all day to find.

And then tell me why you think that is greater risk than repeatedly crossing the road, or going out in a thunder storm.

Edited: 19 October 2011, 20:57
london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Jogging in London - how and where

Because Sweetie - when I cross the road or go out in a thunderstorm, the likelihood of some person jumping out from behind a tree or bush wielding a knife is slightly less likely than

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Jogging in London - how and where

Oh, dear. You stand a much greater chance of being hit by a bus than being subject to an attack like this.

london
Level Contributor
8,928 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Jogging in London - how and where

Well please forgive me for having the temerity to hold an opinion that happens to be contrary to the one that you hold.

But then again - what the hell do I know

ps. For your information - i did not actually spend more that 10 minutels looking for those stories. Unlike some, I actually have a life

Edited: 19 October 2011, 21:07
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,334 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Jogging in London - how and where

steve_ben2004. Im really struggling to see the point you are trying to make here. Please explain.