We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

South Bank: still a detour at Blackfriars?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
South Bank: still a detour at Blackfriars?

I know there was previously a detour along the South Bank walk because of the construction at Blackfriars. It's been a while since I've been near there: can anyone tell me if the detour is still in effect, or if the walk is open all the way through? I tried Googling, but no luck.

Thanks.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,064 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: South Bank: still a detour at Blackfriars?

Yes it is still there - (it's not too big a detour though). Supposed to be completed 'late 2011' according to a sign but no specific date.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,854 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: South Bank: still a detour at Blackfriars?

Thanks very much, parklandwalk. I don't mind the detour, but it does interrupt the "flow" of a walk along the South Bank, just a bit. A minor detail!

London, United...
Level Contributor
166 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: South Bank: still a detour at Blackfriars?

I know what you mean about disrupting the flow. Last time I was along there just for a stroll, to avoid the detour which isn't so scenic, I crossed over to the North side of river. So I was going from east to west - crossed over at the millenium bridge, walked along the thames path on the north side then crossed back over the blackfriars road bridge and you're back on the south bank route. That bit of the north bank isn't that great either, but at least you're still walking along the river rather than round some busy roads.

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,230 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: South Bank: still a detour at Blackfriars?

Whereas I ended up walking on the busy roads last week, not realising about the detour at Blackfriars. :-( That's what happens when one relies on memory rather than checking first. And when one follows the frankly bizarre signage at Blackfriars sending me on a new (and vastly unimproved) route to Tate Modern.

<_<

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,590 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: South Bank: still a detour at Blackfriars?

I too hate the detour so I now cross over the river to avoid it. You find lots of confused tourists on the detour, not sure where they should be or what is happening.

Edited: 25 October 2011, 20:50
Missouri USA
Level Contributor
414 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: South Bank: still a detour at Blackfriars?

Count DH and I as part of the confused tourists. The signage is simply horrible and I didn't have a map with me because we were going to just walk along the South Bank!

7. Re: South Bank: still a detour at Blackfriars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 15:17