We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Premier In - Victoria Jan 1 thru 4

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
447 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Premier In - Victoria Jan 1 thru 4

Hello all,

Me and my 13-yr old son are planning a 2-day trip to London on our way back to US from Dublin, IE. We are flying into LHR and flying out from there. I was looking at various hotels, central enough so that we can walk to most places. Looking at Victoria and Charing Cross.

I am looking at the Premier Inn - Victoria. I did not find any recent reviews on TA. Wanted to see if anyone has been there recently, and has a opinion. Any other suggestions ?.

Is Victoria a good spot, or should I look at Charing Cross ?.

Does the tube go to Victoria and CC from LHR ?.

Thanks !.

VR

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Premier In - Victoria Jan 1 thru 4

The Premier Inn Victoria is a very good option to choose in all respects.

However I think you are swayed by the American 'downtown' mentality of needing to be within a few minutes walk of a defined central area that doesn't really exist in London.

Wherever you stay in London you will need to get about by public transport and you would have to try really hard to get any hotel in Central London not within a few minutes walk of an Underground Station..

London is spread out, and places like Earls Court where there are 2 other Premier Inn's, (normally a lot cheaper than Victoria) are also central enough to be very good.

Earls Court has a direct UNderground link too, unlike Charing X and Victoria from Heathrow.

Charing X is geographically the centre of London and normally carries a big price premium for hotels, but you will still have to use public transport to go to places like Tower Of London, Harrods etc.

Your choce, Premier Inn Victoraia is great but you''ll provably save $50 a day by staying at Premier Inn Kensington for the inconvenience of 10 minutes extra each day on the Underground.

Edited: 25 October 2011, 19:13
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
447 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Premier In - Victoria Jan 1 thru 4

Handfordr, this is great information !.

I love to ride the tube !. And since it is just me and my son, we plan on walking and taking using the tube as much as possible. So, I will certainly take this into consideration.

Thanks !

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
447 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Premier In - Victoria Jan 1 thru 4

Handfordr, this is great information !.

I love to ride the tube !. And since it is just me and my son, we plan on walking and taking using the tube as much as possible. So, I will certainly take this into consideration.

Thanks !

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
447 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Premier In - Victoria Jan 1 thru 4

What are my options to reach London Heathrow to catch a 9:00 AM flight on a Wednesday ?.

The first train on the Piccadilly line starts at 5:30 AM and reaches Earl's Count at 6:00 AM. With a 40 minute ride to LHR, I will be at the airport by 7:00 AM. With a 3-hour checkin prioir to departure reuirement, I might be cutting it too close.

What are my other options in reaching LHR by 6:00 - 6:30 AM ?.

Thanks in advance.

VA

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Premier In - Victoria Jan 1 thru 4

Which airline are you flying home with? It might make a difference if you can check in beforehand and print off your boarding cards. That would mean you not needing to be at the airport until about two hours beforehand, maybe even a little less although I wouldn't risk less.

Otherwise your only other practical option (there are night buses) would be a pre booked car service which from Earls Court should only cost around £30 and take about half an hour.

clarkwgriswold
Level Contributor
56 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Premier In - Victoria Jan 1 thru 4

I would bet that the Heathrow Express shuttle service operates that early. They are small buses that pick up from multiple hotels. I believe it is 14 pounds per person.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,069 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Premier In - Victoria Jan 1 thru 4

There is no point considering the HEX- by the time you pay the fares plus a cab to the station that will be more and possibly take longer. (There are no buses which pick up from multiple hotels in central London).

As Adam says either check in online and get to the airport 2 hours - which may still be cutting it fine - or book a car service

Either way a hotel around Earls Court would make this trip easier.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,461 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Premier In - Victoria Jan 1 thru 4

Getting from Earls Court to Paddington where the HEX operates from would mean getting a taxi costing around £15. Add to that the cost of two HEX tickets and it will be far more expensive and no quicker than the car service.

The small buses run by Hotel by Bus are IMO unreliable especially at that time of the morning and the cost for two people would be more than the car service.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
447 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Premier In - Victoria Jan 1 thru 4

Thanks for all the responses !.

Worst case, I will take a taxi,best case, we can still get a ticket for a later flight.

I am glad I got a recommendation to stay in Earl's Court.

Thanks !. I can now start planning the trip.

VR

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,069 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Premier In - Victoria Jan 1 thru 4

Apologies - hotels by bus (mentioned by Adam) does pick ups but costs £45*,so you would be better off booking a car service - should not be more than £30-35.

* No wonder these services go bust.