We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Tate to see French Impressionism?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cardiff
Level Contributor
265 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Which Tate to see French Impressionism?

Hello,

I've tried searching through the various threads and the Tate website but I'm still no clearer! Could anyone please tell me if either of the Tate galleries house have any works by the French impressionists? The Tate website allows you to search 'the collection' but it doesn't seem to say which gallery the works are in.

Thanks.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Tate to see French Impressionism?

The Tate is largely devoted to British art - you're better off with the National Gallery for that I think

2. Re: Which Tate to see French Impressionism?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 November 2015, 17:46
Edited: 18 November 2015, 17:46
London, United...
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Tate to see French Impressionism?

Courtauld definitely.

Unfortunately it isn't free, apart from Monday mornings , but does have some excellent examples. Nice cafe in the basement too.

London
Level Contributor
887 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Tate to see French Impressionism?

Tate Britain has the national collection of British art and the collection at Tate Modern is of modern and contemporary art.

I agree, to see French impressionist paintings you'd be better off going to the Courtauld or the National Gallery.

USA
Level Contributor
6,981 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Tate to see French Impressionism?

I agree on the Courtauld, free Mondays from 10:00 to 14:00.

"Please note: We regret that owing to refurbishment, the Gallery lift to all floors is out of service between 17 Oct 2011 - 13 Jan 2012."

courtauld.ac.uk/gallery/…index.shtml

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Tate to see French Impressionism?

courtauld.ac.uk/gallery/…imp-postimp.shtml

"The Courtauld is good". I disagree, because the Courtauld is terrific! :-)

All lovers of French art should also visit the Wallace Collection, although their art is from a century or so earlier (free admission). Also look out for the Rembrandts.

wallacelive.wallacecollection.org/eMuseumPlus

Sheffield
Level Contributor
4,325 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Tate to see French Impressionism?

The National Gallery has a superb collection - room 43 I think.

8. Re: Which Tate to see French Impressionism?

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 26 October 2011, 23:08
9. Re: Which Tate to see French Impressionism?

Removed on: 27 October 2011, 10:12
Nice, France
Destination Expert
for London, Brighton
Level Contributor
6,127 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which Tate to see French Impressionism?

The Courtauld Gallery should definitely be your first port of call. And the National Gallery. Rooms 43-46 feature Impressionism and Post-Impressionism.

When are you coming? The Royal Academy currently has a 'Degas and the Ballet' until 11 Dec. Note that there is timed ticket entry - best to book in advance to avoid having to queue for tickets.

www.royalacademy.org.uk/exhibitions/degas/