We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary for trip in March, comments welcome!

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary for trip in March, comments welcome!

Hi

I know it's VERY early but in all fairness I have been planning since July(love doing that, getting even more exited for my trip), and I thought I'd post to see if anyone has any comments.

During my last trip in July I didn't follow my itinerary to the letter, just changing things round as I went along(spending longer in one attraction, skipping another) but I like to have a global plan for the day.

Friday March 16th

-Travel to Brussels using my any dutch station from the Eurostar, which I think is valid for 24hrs before my trip.

-Spent the night in Brussels hotel

Saturday

-take metro to Brussels Midi station

-take 08.52 Eurostar, arrive at StPancras at 09.57(will book Eurostar when tickets become available(won't book using NS Hispeed because they don't let you change your seat))

-either upload 7day travel card on old Oyster, or buy new one(it's a bit broken). Also put on 20 pounds

-take tube to Castletown house

-check in, leave bags

-visit British Museum

-after that visit Covent Garden, Leicester Square(I already have some orders for the M&M store), Picadilly Circus

Sunday

-have breakfast at Giraffe’s High Kensington Street(been wanting to try out their banana pancakes)

-Get Boris Bike and cycle through Kensington Gardens-Hyde Park-Green Park-St.James park

-10.30 THE LONDON TOUR - Westminster & the West End from www.walks.com , starts at Westminster tube

-in the afternoon visit friends in Hampton

Monday

(start using 6 day London Pass)

-Tower of London: did jewels and yeoman warder tour in July, but missed out on many things so want to visit again, perhaps also with audioguide

-have lunch with a friend?

-walk: 14.00 the inns of court – Holborn tube

- perhaps head to Westfield Shopping Centre, I promised myself I could buy a coat for spring in London. Oxford street might do as well

Tuesday

- if I can get up early: Southwark Cathedral

(according to the website open from 08.00, though main visiting times from 10.00?)

-walk:10.30 Secrets&Splendours of StPauls – StPauls

(also did did StPauls during my last visit but was too late for a tour, got a small 15min. one but would like a full one)

-Globe-do the tour&visit shop

-Somerset House-Courtauld Gallery

-walk: 18.15 Brunels Thames Tunnel Bermondsey tube

Wednesday

Since Tuesday is rather busy I think I'll visit Kew Gardens on Wednesday, last july I felt it was a great way to "recharge my batteries", plus back then I didn't visit the greenhouses

If there is enough time I might try Wetlands as well.

Thursday:

Windsor Palace

if enough time after that:

-have high tea at the Orangery, Kensington Gardens

-National History Museum

Friday

-a market(haven't decided on which one yet, would like a bit of everything(clothes/souvenirs/food etc)

-Imperial War Museum

end of afternoon/evening:

- StMartin in the Fields Brass Rubbing/Dinner @ the crypt

- National Gallery(friday evening opening)

- 21.30 Ceremony of the Key’s (Tower), need to find two 'Coupon-response international'(dutch post office don't sell them) before I can apply

Saturday:

Hampton Court Palace

Sunday:

Take Eurostar home.

Also might see either Mathilda(if it's on in March) or Jersey Boys.

There are still quite a few things I would like to do, but I guess that's yet another reason to go back :)

Comments welcome, would love to hear if I've overlooked/missed out anything. Thank you!

Kind regards,

Inge

Mentioned in this post
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Jack the Ripper Museum
History Museums, Speciality Museums
Sutton House
Historic Sites, History Museums
Vintners' Hall
History Museums
The Salvation Army International Heritage Centre
History Museums, Speciality Museums
Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary for trip in March, comments welcome!

Staying at Castletown House is great! Just stayed there last weekend! Looks like a great itinerary. Don't forget to buy a walkabout card from London walks if you are doing 3 or more walks with them. (Cost 2gpb but then you save 2gbp on each additional walk) Enjoy your planning!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,369 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary for trip in March, comments welcome!

Just a couple of comments:

1) With your Eurostar journey, so long as you have purchased your ticket as 'Any Dutch Station' to London and return, you can start your journey to Brussel up to 24 hours before the departure time - so yes, you can spend the night in Brussel. Don't forget that you need to check in for the Eurostar at Brussel-Zuid at least 30 minutes before departure.

Similarly, on the way back, you have 24 hours to complete your journey after the scheduled arival time of your Eurostar in Brussel.

2) Regarding your old Oyster Card, ask at the Underground ticket office if it can be exchanged, as this may save you having to pay another deposit. The worst that can happen is that you are told 'no'.

Other than that, looks like a good itinerary - especially as you are flexible enough to go with the flow and change things around when you need to.

Enjoy your trip!

London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary for trip in March, comments welcome!

Looks like a very detailed itinery and since you are no stranger to London, I reckon well thought out and workable.

Muy only addition, if I may, would be Imperial War Museum on Friday, then head up on Northern Line via Elephant Castle to Camden Market (since u did say u r looking for a market with food and souveniors n everything). Then you can head back down the Northern Line to Leicester Sq to the National Gallery etc. Thats purely for convenience and time saving without having to commute too far on the Tube.

Enjoy.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,123 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary for trip in March, comments welcome!

Hi OrangeTigger.

No need to apologise for your dedication/obsession in planning your trip. I do the same thing. :-)

My general comments:

- Have you thought about taking the overnight ferry? I took the Hook of Holland-Harwich trip which was great. I've just checked the Stenaline website and it will cost you £66 for a single cabin with no window. Add £8 for a window.

I am not sure when on the Friday you were thinking to leave but the ship leaves at 22.30 on Thurs & Fri, so you could potentially even leave on the Thurs night. :-)

You will arrive earlier in London than your proposed Eurostar train.

- Re: your day on Boris Bikes. Find a map of where you can cycle in the Royal Parks here- www.royalparks.org.uk/about/cycling.cfm

Also, consider registering online before you leave - assuming you haven't already done so. If you are taking a smart phone, download the app. I found it useful in finding a station with bikes before setting off from my apartment. I found the closest one rarely had any bikes docked in it.

-Can you not see your friends in Hampton and Hampton Court Palace on the same day? It would save you some travel time. I assume these places are near each other but you never know in the UK. :-)

-I like Spitalfields market. The best market day is Sunday - which may not fit your itinerary - but there is also a brach of Giraffe there, so you could still get your banana pancakes.

- Since you're in the neighbourhood, try and see Sir John Soane's House. It's really interesting. It's in Lincoln's Inn Fields and it will be pointed out to you during the Inns of Court walk. Another option is the Silver Vaults which you will also pass as you walk.

Enjoy your trip planning!

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary for trip in March, comments welcome!

Carrie I stayed in Castletown House last July, liked it so much that I'll be going back!

Wirewiper thanks for both tips, I know about checking in, I'll try to be at least an hour early. And will try the oyster card switch!

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,809 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary for trip in March, comments welcome!

I thoroughly enjoyed Brunel's Thames Tunnel walk which I did this summer. A part of London I had missed before.

I will keep an eye on Matilda for you. We are going 17th November re-arranged after the cancellation of the first week's performances.

Edited: 30 October 2011, 14:57
Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary for trip in March, comments welcome!

Aw, two days earlier and you could have added "Coffee with Ailidh" to the list!

Sorry I'll miss you.

Early? It's not early! The planning is such a huge part of the fun, it's like having a mini-trip over and over again - and it's what I'm doing this afternoon!

I'm going to check out your walks, they sound fascinating.

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary for trip in March, comments welcome!

Mez thanks but I dont like boats I'm afraid... nor can I sleep in anything that moves.

I didnt know people abroad could register for the bike, I'll have a look..

re Hampton, I'll probably be knackered during a day at HCP and would also rather see my friends earlier in the week.

I like your tips re John Sloan&Silver Vaults

Penangnite I'll have a look re that market thanks!

JBart I saw it in someone elses (bgtm?) tripreport and liked the description glad you enjoyed it too! Hope you'll enjoy Mathilda

oh Carrie forgot to add with the London Pass I also get the discount

Nijmegen...
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary for trip in March, comments welcome!

Ailidh if only I travelled 2 days earlier(and drank coffee :) ), but I'm sure it wont be my last trip

West London
Level Contributor
10,128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary for trip in March, comments welcome!

Somerset House - Courtauld Gallery has an admission charge on a Tuesday, but is free on Monday mornings. It is definitely worth the admission charge if you do go on a Tuesday.

Saturday 17 March is St Patrick's Day, and so the London Irish community will be having a parade through Trafalgar Square.

It looks a very well planned trip - perhaps we could have a Trip Advisor cycle ride through the parks as well!