We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

london marathon

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
london marathon

hi

my daughter is running in the marathon this next year and we would like to go, i think it finishes in the mall? so anyone know of reasonably priced hotels, i would rather stay maybe outside and travel in by public transport as we would be driving down and parking would be needed, would prefer also a travel inn or lodge anyone know of somewhere that easy to commute in i would be gratefull

thankyou

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: london marathon

This is tricky as basically everyone has the same thoughts as you, so the hotels that are usually reasonably priced end up being not-so-reasonably priced any more. What sort of budget are you thinking about?

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: london marathon

up to 150 but need parking but then i could go by coach as its only overnight, but really at writing was thinking of a travel inn near the rail network that would take me near the finish?

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: london marathon

I believe most people stay near the start, so I would look north or west.

Is your daughter making her own way, or will you need somewhere convenient for her to get to the start ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: london marathon

The Hide is a very nice hotel, usually has parking, and is handy for both the M1 and for the Northern Line to Trafalgar Square. Or is it posher than you're looking for?

London
Level Contributor
508 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: london marathon

Hi

I have looked at the Virgin London marathon website and it has teamed up with Holiday Inn to offer runners accommodation, breakfast, plus a coach transfer to the start etc so that's an option.

http://www.greenroom.co.uk/running

The race does finish in the Mall. As a marathon runner, my favourite place to stay is the Mint Hotel Westminster as it is close to the finish so if your daughter is feeling "rough" it's great. I am not sure about parking though (by the way, just a note to your daughter, she should be close to the FINISH not the start as you can barely walk when you finish so tube steps are a bit of a nightmare). The start is easy as you follow the other competitors leaving the hotel to get to Westminister tube to the start line.

Otherwise look at say the Premier Inn Wembley as this is close to the tube and parking is £5 per night.

Solihull
Level Contributor
4,097 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: london marathon

I have been down and watched the London Marathon a couple of times so have some hints that may help.

It is good to go to the start in Greenwich Park (South of the river).

The runners then go Eastwards out of London before turning back IN to London and they pass the Northern section of Greenwich park (near the start)

So you have time to walk from the start, across Greenwich Park, down near the Cutty Sark, and see them come back. At this point they have done 6 or 7 miles.

You then need to get across to the North of the river (which is not easy as there are no bridges) so maybe use the tube or Docklands Light Railway to get on to the Isle of Dogs where you may see them again. On the isle of dogs they have done 16 or 17 miles.

You could then get the tube again to maybe near the finish (Mall area) and see the runners on the last stage.

I found the whole thing very moving and the atmosphere around the whole race is wonderful.

I guess the only negative is trying to cross the road anywhere near the race.

At certain places you cant just stroll across the roads the runners are actually running on so you either have to make a large detour, or wait for the marshalls to set up rope barriers to allow you across (half the road at a time).

As there is always a queue at crossing points it can take 15 minutes or more to cross the road.

Apart from that it is a wonderful event to watch and seeing the looks on people faces as they run the race is an amazing sight.

Edited: 01 November 2011, 21:21
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: london marathon

> I guess the only negative is trying to cross the road anywhere near the race. <

Or trying to sleep past 8am on the Sunday as the TV companies re-enact "Apocalypse Now" :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: london marathon

Just thought I'd also note that I happened to be staying in a hotel in Canary Wharf during last year's marathon. Wasn't planning on having anything to do with it at all, but they happened to come past just as I was about to go out on the Sunday, so stopped outside to watch them go by. Was quite a relaxed and non-crowded place to be an onlooker.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: london marathon

thanks to all that have replied to my post i will certainly be looking into all this information

many thanks

10. Re: london marathon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 November 2012, 04:18