We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Area For High Street Shopping

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Topic
Best Area For High Street Shopping

Where would people recommend to go to find high street/bargain shopping in central London.

I'm there tomorrow and hoping to have a few hours to spare before my flight?

Savage London
Gift & Speciality Shops
Broadway Market
Flea & Street Markets
Oxfam Bookshop
Gift & Speciality Shops
Essex
Level Contributor
29,932 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Area For High Street Shopping

Oxford Street.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,460 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Area For High Street Shopping

High Street and bargain shopping are two different things in my mind. What kind of shopping are you doing? Clothes, souvenirs, antiques...?

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,718 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Area For High Street Shopping

"High Street and bargain shopping are two different things in my mind. "

They can and do go hand in hand Laura, if you look in the dictionary under "High Street Bargains" you actually get a picture of Primark Oxford Street. ;-)

OP: Even though Oxford Street is unpleasantly busy it's busy for a reason so I agree with Essex, when you're short on time and looking for bargain stuff then start at Marble Arch station and walk until you reach Tottenham Court Road station (or vice versa). There are more clothing shops than you can shake a stick at. There are nicer places to shop in London, but nowhere else with the concentration of low-mid price high street shops in the one location.

Mentioned in this post
Essex
Essex
England, UK
The Marble Arch London
The Marble Arch London
490 Reviews
London, UK
Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
33,979 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Area For High Street Shopping

"when you're short on time and looking for bargain stuff then start at Marble Arch station and walk until you reach Tottenham Court Road station"

I'd go the "vice versa" as the "better" shops tend to be at the Marble Arch end.

"if you look in the dictionary under "High Street Bargains""

The point is though that the best bargains tend not to be on the high street - they are in retail parks

Mentioned in this post
The Marble Arch London
The Marble Arch London
490 Reviews
London, UK
Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
8,718 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Area For High Street Shopping

But context is key Alan, the OP isn't asking about a convoluted journey to the PC world at Hayes retail park to save £10 on a HP printer, she's coming to London for *high street* shopping. I'm not sure how much clearer she could be.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,737 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Area For High Street Shopping

Massive collection of high street shops at Westfield Stratford, time spent getting there is saved while not walking up and down Oxford street.

London
Level Contributor
312 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Area For High Street Shopping

Oxford Street an overated busy crammed disgusting dirty mess, half of which is a building site.

Westfield Shephards Bush will be just the ticket.

London, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Area For High Street Shopping

Westfield Stratford is good, but way too busy during weekends, so it is better to go there during the week

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
20,460 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Area For High Street Shopping

Well, I guess to me "High Street Shopping" means Selfridges or similar high end store.

Bargain Shopping brings to mind Camden or outlet stores. And yes, Primark is cheap, but it is sort of the odd man out on Oxford Street I'm not sure you could get anyone to agree that it is "High Street" clothing just because they put the store there. By that logic, all the souvenir and portable umbrella kiosks along Oxford Street are also "High Street Shopping."

Guys must think differently.

Mentioned in this post
Primark
Primark
50 Reviews
London, UK
London, UK
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Area For High Street Shopping

You can avoid the weekend crowds at both Westfields by being there for opening time on Saturday and leaving just before lunchtime - or ending your visit with lunch at one of the restaurants. The same sort of applies to Oxford Street, but a bit less so I think. I think the westerly Westfield is nicer than the Stratford one, but I find either quicker and less stressful than Oxford Street, where just making your way along the pavement from shop to shop is a painful experience. And made much worse by the roadworks around Bond St.