We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

heathrow - shopping - to white hart lane

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
heathrow - shopping - to white hart lane

Flying into Heathrow - Terminal 3 and have a few hours to spare to shop before we go to White Hart Lane in the evening. We would like to stay close to Heathrow - drop off our bags and head out to do some Xmas shopping before the evening game. We would have to head back to Heathrow after the game though as in the morning we would pick up a rental car from the airport and make our way down to Cornwall. If anyone can help with our plans or even have a better suggestion - that would be great :) -

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,432 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: heathrow - shopping - to white hart lane

One big flaw I can see with this plan is what would you do with your shopping when you go to the game. I very much doubt they will let you into the stadium with it, and taking it all the way back to Heathrow would be a pain in the neck.

It would be better to find accomodation in Central London, nearer to WHL for the first night, then travel out to Heathrow the next morning to pick up a rental car. It does make sense to rent from Heathrow as you're then travelling to Cornwall by the way.

Edited: 05 November 2011, 18:26
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,041 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: heathrow - shopping - to white hart lane

One flaw in your plans - Heathrow is on the opposite side of London to White Hart Lane. You would do better having a hotel in the centre.

So -

Arrive at Heathrow. Buy one-day travelcards. Travel to hotel and drop off bags.

Hit the shops.

Take purchases back to hotel (believe me, you don't want to be lugging them to White Hart Lane).

Travel to White Hart Lane.

Travel back to hotel.

Next day, travel out to Heathrow or other suitable location in Central/West London to pick up car.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,041 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: heathrow - shopping - to white hart lane

Bluebreezer beat me to it!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: heathrow - shopping - to white hart lane

Agree with Bluebreezer,

Look at hotels around Kings Cross, which is both "on the way" to WHL so you can drop off your shopping, and on the Piccadilly line so you can get a direct tube journey to Heathrow next morning. The journey from KX to Heathrow by tube is about an hour; it could take around 30 minutes to get from a hotel in the Heathrow area to the airport terminal(s).

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,013 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: heathrow - shopping - to white hart lane

depends what time you arrive, kick off would be 7.45 and you proberly want to get there early for a beer and soak up the atmosphere, could end up being a mad rush.

Edited: 05 November 2011, 22:46
Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: heathrow - shopping - to white hart lane

Thanks everyone for you comments and suggestions....... now my hubby thinks it would be easier to rent the car at Heathrow when we arrive around 10 am and drive somewhere (?) close to shopping and a hotel (not sure what area)and within easy access to White Hart Lane - then after the game we would not have a long trek back to the airport - just need to be able to get to the M5 down to Cornwall. the next day....Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for your suggestions

Edited: 06 November 2011, 03:49
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,870 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: heathrow - shopping - to white hart lane

Actually I'm not seeing much sense in hubby's idea I'm afraid. Where would you drive to/from? And, an extra day's car rental will cost more than travelcards for the day of the match and your fares back to Heathrow next morning. And petrol/gas is about $10 per gallon, so add that to the day's cost. Finally, your journey to the M5 will go past Heathrow anyway, and in early morning traffic it may take longer than the tube ride to get there.

Stay in London that day. The Kings Cross area is as good as it would be for access to shopping, Spurs and back to Heathrow. If not there, then Earls Court, Gloucester Road or Bloomsbury (Russel Square) are still good access wise.

Edited: 06 November 2011, 03:58
Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: heathrow - shopping - to white hart lane

Thanks not knowing etc - this does make a lot of sense - thanks so much

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: heathrow - shopping - to white hart lane

Travel to Stratford, book near by hotel. Shop undercover at Westfield.

I believe there are special match day trains from Stratford to White Hart Lane (otherwise there is an hourly service to Northumberland Park)

Hire car that would allow one way drop at Heathrow.

Spruce Grove, Canada
Level Contributor
65 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: heathrow - shopping - to white hart lane

thanks will check this out - so do you mean get from Heathrow via rental car or ?? We dont need a hire car one way drop as we will be flying back to canada mid december .