We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westminster Abbey admission discounts/picture policy

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Westminster Abbey admission discounts/picture policy

Is the only way to get a discount for Westminster Abbey is by buying a London Pass? Is it true you can't even take pictures there or at St. Paul's? I think if you have to pay a steep admission charge, you should be able to take as many pictures as you'd like instead of resorting to buying high-priced postcards.

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,918 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Westminster Abbey admission discounts/picture policy

Photography is not allowed in Westminster Abbey, except in the garden. I don't think the thousands upon thousands who visit would ever get in/round/out if we all stopped to take photos, although it's so gorgeous, the temptation is real!

The postcards in the shop are very reasonable, I think it was 3 for £1 last month.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,591 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westminster Abbey admission discounts/picture policy

I know of no major church in Europe that allows photographs. Many of my visits to the likes of St Peters has beenspoiled by selfish idiots busily clicking and flashing away until a security guard reminds them of the very clear "No Photography" signs.

You don't *have* to pay steep entrance fee. Worshipping is free. You can sit in for a service and enjoy the glory of the surroundings.

There was a similar post on this recently if you do a search.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,004 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westminster Abbey admission discounts/picture policy

Here's the thread that peterscot is referring to. The discussion about churches charging for admission can get quite heated, as it did on that thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k49222…

(Be aware that the 2-4-1 offer for St. Pauls is likely to be for the winter season only and not be renewed after April 30).

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,411 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Westminster Abbey admission discounts/picture policy

From the Westminster Abbey FAQ--"Why am I not allowed to take photographs in the Abbey?"

It can disturb other visitors’ experience of the Abbey

Flash photography is bad for conservation

It holds up the movement of visitors when there are lots of people in the Abbey

We have to be careful about and protect what the image of the Abbey is used for - with digital photography and photoshop it is easy for someone to use the image in a way that we aren't happy with or to advertise or promote something

We can't be sure what is for personal use and what is for professional

As a visitor, you are welcome to take pictures in the Cloisters and College Garden for personal use only. Several postcards showing the interior of the Abbey are available to buy in the Abbey shop.

Photos of tombs and monuments in the Abbey can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London
Level Contributor
19,411 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westminster Abbey admission discounts/picture policy

Also, I don't regard the London Pass as a "discount" unless you have tallied up all the paid sites it will cover with your schedule and will truly come out ahead--which is unusual. Many of the things the London Pass "covers" are actually free.

Hoogoo has a spreadsheet on 2-4-1 vs. London Pass that is very worthwhile.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k421…

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westminster Abbey admission discounts/picture policy

As someone with no religious convictions one way or the other I think the OP should consider and respect the fact these are first and foremost sites of worship, not some glorified disneyland impressions of such. Show some respect please

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
31,486 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Westminster Abbey admission discounts/picture policy

<< I think the OP should consider and respect the fact these are first and foremost sites of worship, not some glorified disneyland impressions of such. >>

Pity the people in charge of St Paul's forgot that.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Westminster Abbey admission discounts/picture policy

^^ Thats a whole different issue Alanrow and with respect, you know that. Its an issue I dont wish to be drawn into, but you might like to peruse the OP's other threads.

It sounds like they have champagne tastes and a beer budget. Apologies if I have that wrong and no offence intended

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Westminster Abbey admission discounts/picture policy

I've checked and Salisbury, Winchester and York all allow photography. Wells Cathedral does with an additional 3 GBP payment. And to Bluebreezer54, I'll be the first to admit that I'm a major tightwad, wanting to get the most out of my travel dollars.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Westminster Abbey admission discounts/picture policy

These are all beautiful cathedrals but I don't think they would have anywhere near the same number of visitors as WA.

Most of the main galleries forbid photography also.