We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Some Christmas Questions

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
dallas/fort worth
Level Contributor
151 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Some Christmas Questions

Hello! My family with teens will be staying in Putney Dec 22-27 (not including travel days) would the 2for1 deal be good for us? And Christmas day - yikes- everything closed???!!! any tours that would pick us up? other ideas??? we haven't done anything about local transportation yet. And i know we won't be able to see nearly everything that London has to offer. Thanks for your help!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Some Christmas Questions

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k492… mick67's excellent list of opening hours may help you sort out visiting times and dates.

Some small shops may be open for a few hours on 25 December along with a handful of pubs and restos, but the very great majority of businesses will be closed. You may wish to book Christmas lunch unless you'd rather self cater; if you choose the latter you may wish to book a grocery delivery from Sainsbury's or Waitrose as delivery slots may get booked up soon.

www.daysoutguide.co.uk will help you decide whether or not you will get value from the two for one offers. Let us know where you've booked (street or road name, please) in Putney and we can suggest the nearest National Rail station for the purchase of the necessary paper Travelcards to use with the offers.

dallas/fort worth
Level Contributor
151 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Some Christmas Questions

east putney is the closest station. we are coming from heathrow, so someplace on the way? thanks and thank you for the Christmas tips too.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Some Christmas Questions

I would make sure we had food supplies ready for Xmas day unless we had already booked a meal somewhere. If you are staying in a hotel check they will be offering meals. Otherwise get some shopping done beforehand. Some shops may close early on Xmas eve. Marks and Spencer sell salads and other things which do not require any cooking.

Maybe you will be able to take a nice riverside walk on Xmas day - public transport will not be available, and taxis will cost at least double (if you can find one).

On the other days you should be able to get around the city, although some attractions will be closed on 26th and 27th Dec.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,120 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Some Christmas Questions

Putney rail station in the High Street should sell the right Travelcards for use with the two for one offers.

London
Level Contributor
1,126 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Some Christmas Questions

Agree with above - plan early for food. Putney has excellent pubs and restaurants - most likely to be closed but there could be the odd one offering Xmas meals but you may have to do some googling.

One suggestion is for you to do some walking along the north banks of Putney - if the weather is nice, its really lovely and crisp and before you know it, you may have reached Westminster and the Houses of Parliment!

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Some Christmas Questions

Most pubs near me are now full on Christmas Day, so I would expect Putney to me the same.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,458 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Some Christmas Questions

Most 'local' pubs in residential areas are open at Christmas Day lunchtime, though they are unlikely to be serving food. There's usually a festive atmosphere as people often go for a drink or two before their Christmas meal at home.

Edited: 10 November 2011, 01:02
8. Re: Some Christmas Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 November 2012, 06:17