We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

heathrow express to london at 11pm

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
32 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
heathrow express to london at 11pm

My husband, in-laws, our 1-year old and I are supposed to arrive in London heathrow at 11pm. We wanna take the heathrow express to Paddington, then maybe the tube to waterloo station (we're staying at the County Hall Premier Inn). Just wondering if we'll be too late to catch the HEX after going through customs, grabbing checked baggage, etc... If I'm not too late, is it better to buy the ticket now, or what til I'm at the airport. If we are too late for the HEX, then what's the next best thing to get to our hotel? Also, how late does the tube run?

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: heathrow express to london at 11pm

Last HEX is 2341 (T4) 2346 (T1,2,3)

Last tube is 2349 (T1,2,3)

At that time of night immigration and customs should be 30 minutes at most so you've got time.

Who are you flying with?

HEX is £14 one-way. If there are 4 adults you might consider it better to get a cab to your hotel.

If you do decide to take HEX then you want Bakerloo line southbound to Waterloo from Paddington. If you take the Picadilly line tube then change at Green Park onto the Jubilee line southbound to Waterloo.

London
Level Contributor
563 posts
306 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: heathrow express to london at 11pm

The last Heathrow Express departs Terminal Four at 11.41pm and Terminals 1,2,3 at 11.47.

There's a later train on Heathrow Connect (same route to Paddington with a few station stops) at six minutes past midnight.

It's a waste of money taking these expensive services to Paddington where you'd just have to take the Tube or spend even more money getting a cab to Waterloo.

If you're in time for the last Tube, it's much cheaper and not a great deal slower to get the Piccadilly line from Heathrow to Piccadilly Circus, then change onto the Bakerloo line to Waterloo.

The last Piccadilly line train from Heathrow T123 to Central London leaves at 11.49 on Mondays-Saturdays, or 11.30 on Sundays.

Last Bakerloo line train from Piccadilly Circus to Waterloo is at 12.33am weekdays, 11.52pm on Sundays.

You didn't mention which Heathrow terminal you'll be arriving at, but you may have gathered from many previous postings here that the Tube station at T4 is temporarily closed. Catching the replacement bus to Hatton Cross or the (free) Heathrow Express connection to T123 will take extra time.

I suggest you don't buy a ticket in advance - just in case you're too late for whichever service you catch.

After the Tube and Heathrow Express/Heathrow Connect close for the night you have the choice of night buses (N9 to Aldwych, then any other bus across Waterloo Bridge - it's cheap but slow). Or a taxi to Waterloo, which might cost roughly £40-£55.

Useful links:

www.tfl.gov.uk Tubes and buses

www.heathrowexpress.com

www.heathrowconnect.com