We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

souvenir groceries

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
703 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
souvenir groceries

What typical London food products do you frequent travellers like to bring home with you, as gifts or souvenirs? On my last trip I discovered Millionaire's Shortbread, which is now on my list along with Mr. Kipling's Cherry Bakewell Tarts. (Yes, I know they're "very down-market", as someone on Chowhound pointed out, but we love them and they pack well.) And chocolate. My daughter will probably find room in her suitcase for Brown Sauce and Mushy Peas. I'd love to hear what other travellers like to bring back -- from "junk food" to the more "sophisticated."

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
982 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: souvenir groceries

Both my American and French friends love coming to the supermarket with me and buy amazing amounts of stuff to take home as food souvenirs, particularly:

Twinings (and other brand) teas

marmalade

lemon curd

Marmite

traditional sweets - rhubarb and custard

fruitcake

teacakes (the ones that are covered in chocolate and have a marshmallow filling)

crumpets

pikelets

I'm sure there are other things, sometimes they seem to end up more in their trolley than I have.

Enjoy!

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: souvenir groceries

I'm resident here, but I've often lived overseas for months at a time and I used to have food parcels sent out to me from my wife. One thing I could not get enough of was Yorkshire tea bags. I also used to like Duchy Originals biscuits to go with my tea, and I often requested decent pork scratchings.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: souvenir groceries

The Gentleman's Relish - patum peperium.

People either love it or hate it (just like marmite), but most men seem to like it. Spread thinly on buttered toast.

No. California
Level Contributor
645 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: souvenir groceries

Devonshire cream fudge

Kingston, Canada
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: souvenir groceries

We've got quite a few things we like to get. One of our favourites are the Eat Natural bars, particularly the apricot and yogurt flavour.

ktown

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
703 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: souvenir groceries

Wow!! I just checked Sainsburys online and was astonished at the (low!) prices for lemon curd and orange marmalade. Lemon curd is $6 a jar here! Definitely going on my list.

Virginia
Level Contributor
586 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: souvenir groceries

Nestles chocolate bars. The Nestles sold in Europe is nothing like the Nestles sold in the States. I usually buy it at Heathrow duty free on the way home. Also, Colemans sauce packets. These are similar to the Knorr mixes sold in the US, only much better and they have a great variety of mixes. Sometimes I jazz them up a little with wine or a little cream...very good. And finally, Ginger Nut cookies.

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,806 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: souvenir groceries

Visit the spice aisle as well. I loved buying "cheap" spices like bouquet garni pre-tied in little cheesecloth balls, caperberries, (different from capers and oh so good), herbs de provence, and esoteric ones like ras-el-hanout.

Some fabulous cheese are available if you are able to keep them cold in your hotel. In flight the cargo area will be plenty chilly enough.

Happy hunting.

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2,659 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: souvenir groceries

Custard powder? Marzipan sweets? Gravy?

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,631 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: souvenir groceries

oh, and miniature bottles of different types of whisky.