We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Hilton is best for nearby popular tourist attractions?

Simi Valley...
Level Contributor
7 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
What Hilton is best for nearby popular tourist attractions?

Hi, Have Hilton Honors card so would like to stay at a Hilton in London so I can accumulate more points. First time visitor; so would like to know if anyone has any recommendations for which Hilton to stay at that has a good reputation and hopefully breakfast included, and would be easy access for sight-seeing?? Would like to have a decent rate too. Going in e. May next yr., but would like to nail down a reservation a.s.a.p. There are so many Hiltons there and I don't know any of the areas. Help please.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Hilton is best for nearby popular tourist attractions?

Firstly, think about booking during the January sale Hilton always has.

Secondly, it depends what you want to see exactly as the sights are very spread out.

The most central Hilton family hotels are the Waldorf, the Trafalgar and the Courthouse Doubletree, but they are all usually very expensive.

Others within easy access of the centre:

Hilton on Park Lane (expensive)

Green Park (I don't like this one)

Hyde Park (I don't like this one)

Euston (I don't like this one)

Metropole (Huge hotel, the smaller rooms in the tower are a bit poky but the executive ones are good if you get an upgrade)

Paddington (This one's OK if you get a really good rate but I wouldn't normally choose it)

Tower Bridge (Great hotel, good rates but a bit out of the way for some attractions)

Bentley (Good but expensive)

Kensington (Starting to get a little bit out of the centre, good service but small rooms)

Olympia (avoid)

Docklands (avoid)

Islington (avoid)

Canary Wharf (Very good but some way out of the centre)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Hilton is best for nearby popular tourist attractions?

Excellent list, and exact same topic also discussed in this very recent thread tripadvisor.co.uk/…37033954

Simi Valley...
Level Contributor
7 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Hilton is best for nearby popular tourist attractions?

Wow....you sure know alot about this subject matter. Thanks. Without knowing anything my husband booked (just to lock something in), the Kensington at 179-199 Holland Park Avenue at a AAA rate at around $234.00 US a night with no breakfast. What do you think? Isn't that Holland Park District suppose to be nice?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Hilton is best for nearby popular tourist attractions?

It's a nice area, good for shopping and an easy tube ride to most attractions in the centre. Not the best in terms of restaurants/nightlife. The hotel is very ugly from the outside but nicer on the inside, the staff are good, as I mentioned a lot of the rooms are quite small (try and get one at the front on a high floor).

Hopefully you've booked a refundable rate as I suspect something more attractive is likely to come up in the January sale, but if it doesn't it's not a major disaster.

Simi Valley...
Level Contributor
7 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Hilton is best for nearby popular tourist attractions?

Thanks again. Yes, it's refundable up to 24 hrs in advance. Will keeping checking out more options right after the New Year as you suggested. Thanks again!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
26,154 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What Hilton is best for nearby popular tourist attractions?

Go with the Waldorf or Trafalgar.

If coming into Paddington, there is nothing wrong with the Metropole.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What Hilton is best for nearby popular tourist attractions?

my husband booked (just to lock something in), the Kensington at 179-199 Holland Park Avenue at a AAA rate at around $234.00 US a night with no breakfast.

===============

Thats seems (1) a little expensive to me especially without breakfast which is likely going to be another $30-$35 EACH,and (2) really there is no need to "lock something in" so far in advance.

Unless you are happy to go out every day for breakfast you should try and get a rate that includes it, as otherwise, as you can see, it adds a lot to the hotel cost.

FWIW a trial booking on the uk website for a random day in May including breakfast *and taxes* is about £130 a day which is about $210. That is the cheapest room. And any case it appears to be much cheaper to pay for breakfast in advance in the room rate, about half the pay on the day rate. Also be sure if your room rate includes taxes as otherwise its an additional 20%.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Hilton is best for nearby popular tourist attractions?

For the leisure visitor May and June are usually the most expensive months of the year to visit London regards hotels.

Next year with the Olympics its hard to forcast if tourists will globally just give London a miss next year or those who would visit late July and August just bring forward a month or so.

As above I'd wait for January and the annual Hilton Sale when on past record there will be Hilton's available around 100 GBP or less..

There is no universal 'best' option. Really depends on your attitude towards the price/location/services compromise everyone makes. London is very spread out. The 'Grand' hotels in the West End like the Waldorf you pay well over double of a similar Hilton just 10 minutes away on the tube.

If all you are primarily after is points the Olympia, Kensington and Metropole are normally the cheapest and tend to have the bus tour and Priceline bid crowd in the cheaper rooms.

The only one I would avoid is the Olympia Hilton where even with points you are probably more comfortable in a Premier Inn in my opinion

Arizona
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What Hilton is best for nearby popular tourist attractions?

We stayed at the Hilton Hyde Park in September. Loved the location and right next to a tube station. I thought the room was nice and it did include breakfast.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Hilton is best for nearby popular tourist attractions?

Euston (I don't like this one)

========

I'm staying there next month, what don't you like, I'll report back ?

... and I'm staying at Islington as well, which though off the beaten tourist track, thinking about it , its in quite a 'buzzy' area and only a few extra tube stops, might be worth considering? The hotel itself is pretty bland but good size room when I last stayed there.... so what don't you like about that one?