We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convenient London Location?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Convenient London Location?

We have stayed in Bloomsbury twice before. Looking at most economical option without being too far out this time (due to friends accompanying us). There is a bb on Lambeth Rd, 5 mins walk from Lambeth North Station that fits our budget with good reviews. Can anyone offer their opinion on staying in this area? We will be sightseeing and maybe a daytrip to Bath?

Also if you don't think this is a good choice - what would be your other suggestions - our budget being 90pounds pn.

Thanks GBlyn

Essex
Level Contributor
28,558 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Convenient London Location?

Well, being as you are thinking of going to Bath, and trains to get there leave from London Paddington Station, why don't you stay near there instead, Lambeth is nearly all the way across to the other side of the city from there.

Also, Paddington is not a bad area if you are flying in and out of Heathrow.

Wrexham, United...
Level Contributor
424 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Convenient London Location?

We just returned from two nights at the Hyde Park Radnor http://www.hydeparkradnor.com/Tariffs.html . I think the tariff would be suitable for you, and the location is excellent. Paddington 5-10 mins walk away - several decent bus routes stop outside the station in addition to the overland and tube options and one of the open top buses. 5-10 mins walk in the opposite direction will bring you to Hyde Park and Lancaster Gate and another 10 mins through the park to Speakers Corner. The rooms weren't enormous but they were brightly furnished with good bathrooms. Full breakfast included. The mews opposite the hotel are beautiful and house several riding stables.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Convenient London Location?

When are you coming, prices are dropping like a stone every day that passes.

In January there are some 4 stars dropping below 100 GBP at the moment

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Convenient London Location?

Handfordr - not til next June..

Thank you for your tip JesterJo = I've requested availability, but I'm a little put off by some of the reviews. The location seems perfect, guess I need to decide whether the "very little" rooms etc override location.

And Essex, now that I've looked at the map = I see the route to Bath.

I'm still leaning towards the Lambert Nth B& B because of the positive reviews = but yes not wrapped in the location.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,301 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Convenient London Location?

Lambeth Road/Lambeth itself is fine - it's a busy but fairly wide road very near the Imperial War Museum. Lots of bus routes nearby which get you to Westminster/Victoria/South Bank area so easy to get to the Tate Britain,Houses of Parliament. Or you can walk to Westminster Bridge/the South Bank in about Lambeth North - maybe more than 5 minutes depending on where on Lambeth Rd it is - is on the Bakerloo line with a direct tube link to Paddington so for the one time you need to go to Paddington not an issue.

There are neighbouhood restaurants and pubs at various spots but it's not as well supplied (IMO) as somewhere like Bloomsbury. If you plan on eating out more centrally, or even on the South Bank this is not a problem however because of the transport options mentioned.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Convenient London Location?

Thank you parklandwalk. That has helped a lot. As it will be the last 4 days of our month long holiday, I think the neighbourhood restaurants and pubs will be sufficient for our needs at that stage.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,301 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Convenient London Location?

Good Gblyn. That should have read you can also walk to Westminster/Waterloo area in about 20 minutes, btw!

8. Re: Convenient London Location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2012, 10:23