We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking outside of central London for overnight stay

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leamington Spa
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Parking outside of central London for overnight stay

I'm planning a trip to London from Warwick on Saturday 18th Feb. For 2 of us to travel by train the cheapest i can find is a £50 return for both of us, so I was wondering if driving to the outskirts and getting the tube in would be more cost effective? I would be coming from the M40 direction and would need to park the car overnight as I have a hotel booked in central London. I have read some posts similar to this but I'm struggling to find informatrion about if you want to leave your car overnight. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks :)

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,415 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking outside of central London for overnight stay

Go to the Chiltern Railways website and see if you can get Advance fares for the dates you want - they should be available now for February. Although bear in mind an Advance fare will tie you into particular trains, and no refund if your plans change.

If they are not available (you may be wanting to use popular trains, for instance), then the £25.00 fare per person is a super off-peak return, which is a walk-up fare and may be used without restriction (i.e. any train you like) on Saturday and Sunday. By the time you have taken fuel and underground costs into account, as well as the hassle of driving in February conditions and finding somewhere to leave the car, what are you really saving?

Leamington Spa
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking outside of central London for overnight stay

Thanks for your thoughts. I've checked with National Rail and now Chiltern direct and the best fare I can find for that day is £25 each. I suppose I thought £50 for both of us (plus transport to get to our local station) was a bit expensive and I was hoping that there night be a cheaper option! I would normally opt to drive when staying away but it doesn't make sense to drive to central London direct! I've managed to get tickets for £12.50 each in the past... I guess these must have already sold out :(

North West England...
Level Contributor
1,815 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking outside of central London for overnight stay

Hi,

It may be too early for Advance tickets for that date, tickets are on sale for early Febuary at prices as low as £10.00.

Good luck!

Leamington Spa
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking outside of central London for overnight stay

Oooh good point - thanks! I'll will keep a look out for them :)

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
14,784 posts
294 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking outside of central London for overnight stay

I have signed up for cheap ticket alerts with thetrainline.com and as yet am still waiting for some dates in feb to become available. while i sign up with the trainline I buy direct from the train operator as they don't usually charge booking fees.

You should still be able to get a deal:)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking outside of central London for overnight stay

<<by the time you have taken fuel and underground costs into account, as well as the hassle of driving in February conditions and finding somewhere to leave the car, what are you really saving?>>

Exactly.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,626 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking outside of central London for overnight stay

Where in central London are you staying?

Leamington Spa
Level Contributor
16 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking outside of central London for overnight stay

We're staying at the Guoman Charing Cross.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,626 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking outside of central London for overnight stay

Lots of double yellow lines in the area around Charing Cross.

If you really want to bring the car, the safest area in the west of the city is Boston Manor. You can catch a tube from here to Piccadilly Circus. Then a southbound Bakerloo to Charing Cross.

Coming from the M 40 join the M 25 south to the M 4 into London. From here follow my directions in post 6 on the link below.

"Safety Fast"

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k43544…

10. Re: Parking outside of central London for overnight stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 04:16