We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish and Chips technical question

Illinois
Level Contributor
16,635 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Fish and Chips technical question

Planning a trip to London in a couple of weeks. DD is working on expanding her food repertoire. (She's getting less and less picky since we've been travelling.) Anyway, her next project is to add fish to her list of edible foods. We ordered fish and chips on our first trip, and she didn't like it because she thought it looked like a whole fish (and I think it still had the skin on), so I'm thinking she should start with a fillet.

My question is whether when you order something that just says fish (whatever kind) and chips, will it be a filet or whole fish, or does it depend on the restaurant? I looked at the North Sea menu, and some mains are listed as fillets and others aren't (i.e. it just says Dover Sole, but says Cod Fillet.) I didn't know if that meant that if it doesn't say fillet it's a whole fish or if it just depends on the restaurant.

North Sea is near our hotel, so we could always just go there, but we're not always by the hotel when we want to eat, so I thought I would see if I could get some sort of general rule.

We will also be spending a couple of days in York. Does it matter if we get fish in York or London (I know some things are regional)?

Thanks.

Tenterden, United...
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Fish and Chips technical question

Cod or haddock from fish and chip shops will be served filleted and boneless so the skin will be on one side only and with properly cooked fresh fish the flakes should be easily removed from the skin with a knife and fork. I do not eat the skin but do know some who do.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Fish and Chips technical question

lava tory

yes monkfish tails are expensive now since they were 'discovered' by the celebrity chefs.

i was brought up in a fishing town and very often 'monkfish' were discarded by the fishermen as unmarketable -just chucked into the harbour!

until the scampi manufacturers got into the act-before the cheffie revival.

strictly speaking there is no fish called a monkfish they are Angler Fish one of the ugliests creatures in the sea with massive heads and small short tails. The tail is the prized part and the most expensive but only makes up a fraction of the whole fish.

I wonder what happens to the rest -in this day and age of reconstitued food I would probably guess that it is not discarded any longer.

Newbury, United...
Level Contributor
241 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Fish and Chips technical question

Also your fish and chips will taste differently according to which part of the country you are in.

Darn Sarff they cook in oil, ooop North it's lard which gives a completely different taste - but all delicious

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,290 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Fish and Chips technical question

It's time to mourn - Harry Ramsden's in Guiseley is closing

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-15969789

As anyone who knows their fish & chips the fish & chips sold there are of a higher quality & tasted far better than in any of the Harry Ramsden franchise shops.

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Fish and Chips technical question

Beef dripping for to chips to die for

and if you eat enough you probably will!

Plenty of chippies in the North use oil now and mostly take the skin off the fish

Guess what I am having for tea tonight?

No matter what you prefer nowt beats good fish ' n' chips

Sitting in or takeaway -ENJOY!!

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,753 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Fish and Chips technical question

"No matter what you prefer nowt beats good fish ' n' chips"

- with a good sprinkling of salt and real Malt Vinegar - none of that "Non-brewed Condiment" that some places provide. Malt vinegar goes well with the (optional) Mushy peas, too.

My own preference is for Mayonnaise and lemon juice - but that is just personal taste.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,644 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Fish and Chips technical question

Very sad that Harry Ramsden's in Guiseley is closing. I can't believe the company is letting that piece of history go.

When we drove from York to Harrogate and then to Thirsk on our loop through "James Herriott Country" tour, we went the long, long way through Guiseley and Harry Ramsden's was one of the reasons, my mom was a big fan.

38. Re: Fish and Chips technical question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2012, 10:18