We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Sandwich Shops in London plus more questions

Level Contributor
119 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Best Sandwich Shops in London plus more questions

Will be arriving in London 27th Dec.. We prefer to eat healthy Sandwiches, Baguettes etc for Lunch..Wanting to know what Sandwich Bars are the best value for money while we are doing the tourist thing around London. We can't make up our own where we are staying due to lack of refrigeration so would prefer to have them freshly made...

Also can someone advise us on what trains we need to take from Heathrow to Wandsworth Rd Clapham..

Can we also use our Oyster Cards to get there or do we have to purchase another ticket..

Thanks for your input ..Barb

Can we also use our oyster card to get there.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Day Trips
London Black Taxi Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,018 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Sandwich Shops in London plus more questions

Paul do wonderful bread and sandwiches.

www.paul-uk.com/content/find-a-paul.php

For public transport anywhere in London use the journeplanner on here -

www.tfl.gov.uk

Oyster will work, depending what you put on it (money or buy a zonal travelcard - you have to put enough money on it, or buy the right zones).

If you wish to take advantage of big discounts at London attractions consider buying a paper Travelcard from a TRAIN station.

see www.daysoutguide.co.uk

Edited: 18 December 2011, 09:32
London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Sandwich Shops in London plus more questions

> what trains we need to take from Heathrow to Wandsworth Rd Clapham.. <

Hmmm. As in Wandsworth Road railway station? It'll be a bit fiddly by public transport. My best guess is Piccadilly line to Hammersmith, change there to the District line to Sloane Square, and from there take the 452 bus.

> Can we also use our oyster card to get there.<

Yes, depending what sort of tickets you have on it. Assuming you have some PAYG credit on it, it'll get you all the way.

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,456 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Sandwich Shops in London plus more questions

I love the sandwiches at Piggys, probably the best I've had in London, but of course it depends on where you'll be.

http://www.piggyspiccadilly.co.uk/

Paul have branches all over the place and they are pretty good.

Level Contributor
119 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Sandwich Shops in London plus more questions

Hi GreenwichNick, exact address is 372 Wandsworth Rd Clapham. Chelsea Guest House...Grandaughter and her Boyfriend are staying there.

Oyster Card has 20GBP already on it. We purchased it here in Australia. One each of course

Would that get them from Heathrow all the way. I will be going in a different direction and that is under control. (I Hope). Barb

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,221 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Sandwich Shops in London plus more questions

Well I'm in London right now and I'm going to bear those sandwich bars in mind!

As for Heathrow to Wandsworth Road, you might want to look at the following. Take the tube's Piccadilly line to Green Park (sit at the back of the train), and then change to the Victoria line southbound to Vauxhall. Make the change at Green Park via the escalator to the ticket hall and down again, much easier than the official route. At Vauxhall you'll encounter just 19 stairs from the ticket hall up to street level. At Vauxhall, take either the 77 bus towards Tooting ot the 87 towards Wandsworth from stop G in the central bus station area. Both of these travel the length of Wandsworth Road and should go close to where you're staying.

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…vauxhall-2276.pdf

tfl.gov.uk/tfl/…wandsworthroad-13609.pdf

You can do that entire journey on Oyster. Plus, if you're interested in the 2-4-1 offers from daysoutguide - for which you would need travel cards issued by a National Rail station ticket office, you could get these at Vauxhall railway station, directly opposite the bus station. - www.daysoutguide.co.uk

Level Contributor
119 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Sandwich Shops in London plus more questions

Just looked it up...mmmmm my kind of food Crayfish Tails and Avocado on Ciabatta...Just what we are looking for...We will be doing the Tourist thing all over London and outer areas..all up over four weeks 10 days we will be staying in London...

Pauls from memory do a mozzarella, basil tomato and ham baguette....Barb

Level Contributor
119 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Sandwich Shops in London plus more questions

Nothing beats a well made Sandwich or Baguette...Thanks for the info on the trains for the kids...I seem to be doing all the homework for them...I will have a folder full of information for them some of it will probably be useless...2 4 1 would be good for them..I will be travelling solo so of no benefit to me..

Cambs
Level Contributor
628 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Sandwich Shops in London plus more questions

For a posh sandwich, I'd recommend any of the Birley chain (they are in the City and Docklands not the West End):

https://www.birleysandwiches.co.uk/site/

Level Contributor
119 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Sandwich Shops in London plus more questions

It is 10pm over here...my mouth is watering looking at their web page...I own a Catering Business here and always looking for new ideas . But I still appreciate the hard work that goes into the preperation of a good sandwich...Barb

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Sandwich Shops in London plus more questions

How much luggage will the people going to Wandsworth Road have? If they are travelling light, I'm going to suggest taking the Piccadilly line to Green Park, changing there for the Victoria line to Vauxhall, then a 77 bus from Vauxhall bus station.

It's probably not the quickest route, and IIRC it's a bit of a hike from Piccadilly to Victoria line at Green Park, but it has the advantage of being easy to understand, and I think that boarding a bus at a well-signed bus garage is easier than trying to find the right stop at, say, Sloane Square. There's also a bit of shelter at Vauxhall bus garage, in case they have to wait a while in the biting wind and freezing rain.

Yes, £20 each on Oyster PAYG will more than cover that trip. The tube will cost £2.70 and the bus fare is £1.20, so less than £4 each,

Edited: 18 December 2011, 11:04