We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Not the tour bus

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Not the tour bus

If you were going to take a regular bus [not a tour bus] in order to see some of the sights and get a general feel of the city and remain within the central zone which bus # would you choose? If you know of what this bus # goes by that would be helpful as well.

Still foggy in my head about transit. If you get a travel card for X amount of days are you able to ride this bus as well as the tube on that same card?

I assume that card would then be all inclusive. I don't know if you have to pick up a transfer from the driver in London, but if we have our card then we would not need a transfer either would we?

Ta

USA
Level Contributor
463 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Not the tour bus

When are you going back, onward?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Not the tour bus

Going back where dear?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Not the tour bus

Sorry, I was in the Scotland and Germany forum and had a brain fart as to where I was going. We're in London again in July.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Not the tour bus

This page will be useful to you:

www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/spiders/…

It has the spider maps for major junctions/interchanges/attractions which show all the routes running out for it. You can also select other Boroughs from the map.

Travelcards include bus and tube (+DLR+Trams+National Rail), you can also buy a bus pass but not a tube only pass.

Annoyingly there are no transfers on London buses (not strictly true but too complex to get into here)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
5,617 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Not the tour bus

Thanks ajeleonard!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,502 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Not the tour bus

You're welcome

somewhere out there
Level Contributor
6,161 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Not the tour bus

To reply to your first question.

the #15 and #9 are both running a Routemaster bus as well as the regular bus.

The #15 runs from Tower of London to Trafalgar Square via StPaul's and Aldwych, Fleet st and Strand.

The #9 is running its Routemaster from Aldwych to the Albert Hall via Trafalgar square, Picadilly Circus, Hyde Park Corner.

This is the Heritage Route and the busses are almost empty ( at the moment).

You get to ride the Routemaster with your travelcard.

The conductors are happy to talk about the busses--I rode them three times this week!!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,171 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Not the tour bus

If you have an Oyster Card you must place it on the yellow reader which is situated by the driver as you get on the bus. Listen for the bleep.

I would assume that the conductors on the Routemasters have a machine that reads your Oystercard. Anemone, is that right and are you still around on Sunday for our Southwark pub meet?

Bracebridge, Canada
Level Contributor
555 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Not the tour bus

a brain fart??? ok 'ya got me laughin'again onward!

Nice, France
Destination Expert
for Brighton, Nice
Level Contributor
6,179 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Not the tour bus

Route #11 includes King's Road, Sloane Square, Westminster Abbey, Parliament Square, Whitehall, Trafalgar Square, St. Paul's, and Threadneedle Street.

Just found this as well, which may interest you: http://www.londonbusroutes.net/routes.htm