We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight layover in Heathrow Airport

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
3 posts
Save Topic
Overnight layover in Heathrow Airport

Hi - I will arrive in Heathrow on a saturday night at 7:30 PM and departing Heathrow Sunday at 9 AM. Would the time be feasible to walk around London and visit a few landmarks. Is there anything to do while i am in London? Is there a cheap place to stay for the evening? Any suggestion would be helpful.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,642 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight layover in Heathrow Airport

A Sunday departure makes this a little harder as the only way to get back to the airport from central London at early o'clock on a Sunday morning would be by taxi to Paddington then expensive fast train (Heathrow Express) or a slightly cheaper car service if there was more than one of you.

To be honest you wouldn't even get to central London until around 9.30 on the Saturday night and if you are flying long haul to your final destination you will need to be back at the airport soon after 6.00am.

Much as I would love you to see some of our city I think you might do better to find an airport hotel and relax for the evening. Knowing your exact flight details (arrival and departure terminals) and a hotel budget (airport hotels can be reasonably priced on a Saturday) will allow us to make some suggestions.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,897 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight layover in Heathrow Airport

You could take the Underground from LHR to central London and have a look around in the evening, yes.

But there are a few things to consider about doing so. First, will your bags be checked through for your flight on Sunday or will you have to deal with them? With what airlines are you flying and from / to what destinations? Will you travel in January or later in 2012? If there are planned works on the Underground the weekend you'll be in London then travelling from and to the airport may not be a straightforward matter.

Depending on your destination from LHR on Sunday morning the Underground may not run early enough to get you to the airport on time, so let us know more about your journey, please.

What is your budget, in ££, for a hotel?

London
Level Contributor
2,210 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight layover in Heathrow Airport

Time is tight - and you need to factor in time to clear customs and get to a hotel, before you can think of heading out again, by which time it will be late into the evening. Sightseeing is not really an option.

I would consider booking into to The Jurys Inn at Hatton Cross, just by the airport, which has easy access to the Piccadilly line. It is a budget hotel, but a good one. Once you have dropped your bags off, you will have time to tube it into town, sample some evening entertainment, and take a stroll around the West End. You'll be close by the airport for your early check in next morning.

4. Re: Overnight layover in Heathrow Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2013, 10:20