We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Afternoon tea options and discounts

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
314 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Afternoon tea options and discounts

Hello TALFers,

I'm trying to put the finishing touches to our visit to London in late January and I would really appreciate your input on a couple of points.

I'd like to take my travel companions to enjoy afternoon tea, as I'll be growing one year older during our time there. I'm not looking for anything too fancy (no "putting on the Ritz" for me, thank you) but I'd like a wee bit of 'fuss' and a rather 'traditional' experience. I've listed below the places that look like they might fit the bill, according to my research,could you please share any preference (or suggest any other hidden treasure):

- The Cavendish Hotel- St James's

- British Museum Court Restaurant - this probably makes most sense, as we'll be spending the morning at the Museum before heading to tea, but I'm somehow concerned about their offer being specifically for tourists, therefore not so 'special'

- The Wolseley

-The Capital Hotel

- Washington Mayfair Hotel

- Portrait Gallery Restaurant

Secondly, I'd like to book tickets for a tour of the Houses of Parliament; they have a concessionary rate for "Senior citizens (60+)" - now, would that be citizens of the UK only or are 60+ citizens of the world entitled to this? :)

I saw there's a 2-4-1 offer for the "Journey To The Heart Of Islam" exhibition at the British Museum and I was wondering whether there's any way to use this when pre-booking tickets online (suppose not, but thought I might ask). And if I don't book online, how likely is it to find tickets on the actual day?

Thank you for taking the time to read through all these questions and for any suggestion.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Afternoon tea options and discounts

> Portrait Gallery Restaurant

I was very disappointed with this. It feels like a café, but with over-priced food. It's very noisy. The views aren't particularly impressive.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Afternoon tea options and discounts

The Wolseley is good for tea, wouldn't eat a main meal there but their breakfasts and teas are legendary.

The food at the Washington Mayfair is rubbish and I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

Don't know much about the food at British Museum or the Portrait Gallery but I suspect it won't be up to the same standard as the Wolseley.

Other people should know more about the food at the Capital and the Cavendish than me, the Cavendish does have quite a nice bar.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,429 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Afternoon tea options and discounts

A lot of TALFers love the Capital and indeed we have organised some teas there -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k40733…

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,046 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Afternoon tea options and discounts

I can vouch for the Capital tea from (ahem) more than one occasion. Very good quality food, great selection of teas, reasonably priced, nice quiet and cosy unpretentious ambience.

However if you want a more 'theatrical' tea , the Wolseley might well be the best option or perhaps consider the Langham or Claridges (which I think have both won Tea Guild 'Oscars' in recent years.

Edited: 28 December 2011, 19:38
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,046 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Afternoon tea options and discounts

Forgot this site has regularly updated offers and online booking for tea:

http://www.afternoontea.co.uk/index.php

Melbourne
Level Contributor
241 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Afternoon tea options and discounts

Fortnum and Masons has a lovely tea, and is lots of fun to browse before/after.

Bucharest, Romania
Level Contributor
314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Afternoon tea options and discounts

Wow, thank you so much for all your answers, you guys are really terrific!

I guess I'm pretty much down to The Capital and The Cavendish and I just noticed that afternoontea.co.uk offers a pretty nice discount for The Cavendish in January :)

Does anyone have an idea about the applicability of concessionary rate for Parliament Tours?

London
Level Contributor
982 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Afternoon tea options and discounts

Cosmopolitan, actually tea at the Ritz is absolutely delightful and equally expensive true as most of the top end hotels are in London. However, besides the very helpful website link in post number 5 above, my own tried and tested recommendations are, not in any numerical order,

1. Fortnum & Mason in Piccadilly

2. John Lewis store in Oxford Street either the Bistro or their eatery on the fifth floor

3. The cafeteria at the Victoria and Albert Museum

4. The Thistle hotel in Charring Cross (5 mns from Trafalgar Square) head for the first floor.

All of the above will not break your wallet or cause you to call your bank manager.

With regard to the Parliament Tours I cannot help you - sorry.

Enjoy London.

Edited: 29 December 2011, 12:53
Toronto
Level Contributor
585 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Afternoon tea options and discounts

I also enjoyed Fortunum & Mason's tea. No need to dress up too much. However, I must say the champagne tea at the Dorchester was well worth the price - free refills on the champagne (Laurent Perrier)! We had to beg them to stop otherwise we would have been too drunk for our theatre excursion that evening!!!

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,429 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Afternoon tea options and discounts

"Does anyone have an idea about the applicability of concessionary rate for Parliament Tours?"

Is this what you needed to know? - parliament.uk/visiting/…