We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

M25 Traffic

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bournemouth, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
M25 Traffic

I am going to be doing a journey from Southampton to Stevenage this week. I've heard that the traffic around the M25 might be bad. I can't decide whether it would be best to leave at around 9:30 am tomorrow (friday) or leave early saturday morning at around 6:30/7 am. Anyone have any ideas as to which time would be quietest?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: M25 Traffic

This week the M25 will be fairly quiet, even in the rush hour, as many people have not yet returned to work.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: M25 Traffic

As GN says, for this week only, go at whatever time suits you without regard of traffic. A friend of mine did a 200mile m5/m4 journey yesterday and said he'd never seen the motorways so quiet.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,460 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: M25 Traffic

Given that it's still a holiday period for many, the M25 is not likely to be as problematical as usual, though you never know what might happen whatever day or time you choose. Bear in mind that you'll be starting the journey in the dark if you choose the earlier time on Saturday. I'd just go for the time that fits in best with your other arrangements. For a long time I avoided the M25 because of the stories I'd heard but on the few occasions I've used it I've had no problems.

Bournemouth, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: M25 Traffic

Thank you for the replies :)

I'll be coming back the following week, on thusday, friday or saturday. Which would be the best time to come back?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: M25 Traffic

Em, you want to avoid a late friday afternoon if you can but really its not *that* bad, it might be jammed up a bit so there will be start stop traffic and it could take you an extra hour or two, but I wouldn't let that put you off staying an extra 2 or 3 days if that suits you best.

You must have got used to the the traffic around Bournemouth on the M27/A27 in the summer, its only queuing cars after all, it would be extreme to cut short a visit by 2 or 3 days to avoid a traffic jam :-)

Bournemouth, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: M25 Traffic

Thank you joeintheuk :) I think I'll come back on thursday or friday at about 10am and hopefully miss most of the traffic :) I've only done a long motorway journey once before so just want to make it as stress free as possible lol

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: M25 Traffic

I make occasional trips between Norfolk and Basingstoke. I always find that if I hit the M25 any time after about 9.30 traffic is reasonable. Yes, It's always busy but that's something you cant do much about.

It may be stating the obvious, but I assume you're travelling clockwise (past Heathrow) on the M25 - you didn't say.

If you go the other way it's a much longer journey and you'll have the Dartford Crossing and fairly significant roadworks from there back to about Junction 27 I think.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: M25 Traffic

<< For a long time I avoided the M25 because of the stories I'd heard but on the few occasions I've used it I've had no problems. >>

That's because the British love to complain and the M25 has gained an unwarranted bad reputation.

The road work after the crossing now only run between the A282 and J29 and hardly cause any problems on their own.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,644 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: M25 Traffic

Traffic on the M3, M25 and A1(M) will be fluid. Stay West on the 25. Allow four hours.

"Safety Fast."

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,062 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: M25 Traffic

"I've only done a long motorway journey once before so just want to make it as stress free as possible lol"

Just relax and go with the flow. If traffic is heavy try to avoid the temptation to keep changing lanes, just stick with the one you are in. There are lots of cameras on overhead gantries, I don't know if they are live or not so these days I stick to the posted speed limits.

Have a safe trip.