We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stay at Gatwick airport and commute to London for sightseei

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Stay at Gatwick airport and commute to London for sightseei

Considering a 3 night stay at the Courtyard By Marriott just for ease of flying in/out of Gatwick from 2 different locations. Wonder how my husband and I can easily get into London for some exploring around of main tourist sights. Not sure most reasonable way to do this (and quickest).

My husband can only fly into Garwick from Kosovo, and I'm flying for Washington Dc. Rather than go into Heathrow for me, I thought it might be easiest just to have me get connecting flight from here into Gatwick and then just stay at airport as its such a quick visit. Too complicated for us going into 2 different airports then trying to stay in the city. Hopefully some has some advice. Also is that hotel best one to easily and quickly get into/out of the airport?

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - London
City Tours, Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Strawberry Tours
Bar, Club & Pub Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
The English Bus
City Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Cultural Tours
London Black Taxi Tours
Cultural Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,386 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Stay at Gatwick airport and commute to London for sightseei

Most convenient would be the Hilton which is right by the south terminal and the rail station

You can buy a one day travelcard that will take you into London and back with free transport once you are there. Price depends on whether you travel peak or off peak and which rail company you use.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10,101 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Stay at Gatwick airport and commute to London for sightseei

I can see some sense in this if you only had one night, but three nights isn't too bad a stay, and airport hotels and environs are so soulless and dismal. If you want to go to the theatre you have a longish trip back to your hotel late at night and there is nowhere to walk around if you just feel like getting out.

I fear that if you 'do' London like this you may be disappointed.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,649 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Stay at Gatwick airport and commute to London for sightseei

For three days I would stay in London - near Victoria or London Bridge for ease of getting to LGW for departure but there are a number of other suitable locations depending on your travel times which are as easy to get to.

It's a false economy to stay far out - you'd either be paying for the train fare, possibly peak rates to have any chance of doing anything in London, not be able to pop back easily say between your day out and some evening activity like theatre or restaurant. You could also spend nearly as much on a Gatwick hotel, particularly one that is on airport and genuinely close to the station.

Edited: 03 January 2012, 12:59
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,551 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Stay at Gatwick airport and commute to London for sightseei

It's a very easy journey into central London from Heathrow and for three nights it would make more sense to meet your husband at a hotel in London. The way you are suggesting would involve much more complication, hassle and expense and you could not enjoy London anything like as much if you are having to travel to and from a hotel so far out of London.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Stay at Gatwick airport and commute to London for sightseei

To add the to the previous comments, if you stay at LGW you will not be able to take a "connecting flight" between LHR and LGW but would need to take a coach. Easy enough, but if you are going to do that you might as well travel into central London. From LHR this can be by tube (subway) to a range of stations - Piccadilly line on map linked attached - or by train to Paddington. If, as suggested above, you stay in the Victoria area your husband can get a train direct there and you can get the tube, changing from Piccadilly line to District line at Hammersmith (just across the platform).

An alternative place to stay is the Kings Cross/St Pancras area. You can get the Piccadilly line all the way there and your husband can get a direct train from LGW (except late at night or weekends).

tfl.gov.uk/assets/…large-print-tube-map.pdf

Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Stay at Gatwick airport and commute to London for sightseei

I'm talking about staying at Gatwick as we both fly into/out of there -him to Kosovo and me back to DC. He only gets a 96 hour pass. We both fly at different times of day -that's why the hotel there and commuting into London seemed a better option.

Dzug1 - I will look into your suggestion.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Stay at Gatwick airport and commute to London for sightseei

^^ If staying at LGW is still your preferred option then the train service takes just over 30 minutes - use either the Southern Service to Victoria or the FCC service to London Bridge or St Pancras (dont bother with the Gatwick Express it is not worth the extra money). If you travel before 9.30 am Mon to Fri it will count as peak hours, not only will it cost you more, the trains will be busy with commuters.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Your train tickets will entitle you to 2-for-1 entry at a range of attractions.

www.daysoutguide.co.uk

If I understood your OP correctly, you will need to get from LHR to LGW. This is best done by coach: nationalexpress.com/coach/Airport/London-Hea…

Edited: 03 January 2012, 13:46
Fairfax, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Stay at Gatwick airport and commute to London for sightseei

ST39

Very helpful information. We both will fly into Gatwick just to make it easier instead of involving 2 airports.

How does it work with hotels? We'll both arrive in the morning with luggage. Can we check into the hotel when we arrive shortly after 7am or how is that usually handled? I've never traveled to Europe before.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
33,055 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Stay at Gatwick airport and commute to London for sightseei

Unlikely to be allowed to checkin then , but check with hotel. Next best - dump the bags with the concierge. Next best - Dump the bags at the airports left luggage place.

Then get train in.

Essex
Level Contributor
29,146 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Stay at Gatwick airport and commute to London for sightseei

From Gatters you could just as easily take the train for a day out to Brighton, if a day at the seaside appeals to you, and you fancy a change of scene!:

http://www.visitbrighton.com/