We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental at Heathrow location?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
72 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental at Heathrow location?

I am arriving on a KLM flight into terminal 4. We have a car rental with Advantage. I was told this company is on-site, but I can't find it anywhere.

My travel agent is trying to find out information, but was told that Heathrow recently relocated ALL car rental companies. Is there anyone who has recently rented a car from Heathrow know where/what car rental companies are on-site? One agent told us that we need to go to terminal one for all car rentals. The Heathrow Airport website looks like some car rental companies are at terminal 4. It is all very confusing.

I'd like to work out the details now, before I'm traveling sleep deprived, with kids, and luggage.

Thank you in advance for any insight.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
Budapest, Hungary
Level Contributor
5 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Car rental at Heathrow location?

Advantage is located in the Hertz compound at LHR. When facing the runway, walk diagonally to the far left hand corner of the large compound close to the terminal bus entrance and where you exit with your rental car. There is a separate section for Advantage which can be obscured by vehicles. Be aware, there are no proper signs for Advantage in the Hertz compound - just misleading boards giving the wrong impression of where to walk. If you arrive at night, be aware there's no illumination of the Advantage signs which are located low down and once again, obscured by vehicles. It's very difficult to notice. Also, in the Advantage compound, there's just a temporary hut with power supplied by a generator (presumably this explains the lack of illumination). Take a torch to examine your vehicle if it is night when you arrive. The car I received was very scratched all over and the wheels had been kerbed. It also had high mileage (50K miles) but it drove OK. A particularly difficult point if arriving late or being delayed is that Advantage closes at 22h. Some travel agents/online sites (e.g. Holiday Autos) do not tell you this in big capital flashing letters this information up front. I nearly missed getting my car and paying a call out charge!

Edited: 29 August 2012, 08:21
Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Car rental at Heathrow location?

hmm, just came across a new wrinkle with Advatage--no more automatic trans, just manual.

My confirmed reservation is for an automatic but just spoke to the Heathrow location and was told "no more automatics." Glad I called.

Hmm.

Back to square one.

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Car rental at Heathrow location?

Many cars in the UK are manual change - most like them like it.

As for moving, Hertz are still where they were from years ago. As well, as the various terminals having desks inside (not 24hr manned though) they have shuttles that go from terminal to terminal before pulling in at the hire place.

As for the suggestion to take a torch to inspect a car.... words fail me! If a company can't illuminate the area, I certainly wouldn't be using them.

Might be handy..... got a map (half way dow tne page) of the various hire companies as well..... heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/car-hire.html

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Car rental at Heathrow location?

Just made a completely new reservation wih Hertz, compact automatic, prepay, which is what I wanted to be able to do to begin with.

All's well that ends well, but it never hurts to check and re-check before we go!

Lincoln, United...
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Car rental at Heathrow location?

I've used Hertz many times, most cars I've had very little mileage on them, last one had just 500miles i.e. new. But do return the car with the same amount of fuel as you started off with. Otherwise it will make a sizeable hole in your wallet....from memory they charge about double the normal amount if they refuel the car. Ouch.

Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1,723 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Car rental at Heathrow location?

We've used Hertz in the past too, returned car with a full tank that we fllled ourselves!

Have always had good service from them.

I'm sure Advantage is fine, they've just sounded a little quirky whenever I've talked to them on the phone!

Perth, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Car rental at Heathrow location?

we booked with http://www.car-hire-uk.com an independed car rental company in the UK, the service really good in terminal vehicle collection but be sure to take the extra scdw waiver or make sure you got insurance for deposit as they have brand new cars and really strict on damage, so £3.00 day for waiver well worth it, other than this we found company and cars really good.

Edited: 10 September 2012, 20:17
28. Re: Car rental at Heathrow location?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2013, 10:18