We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trafalgar Tours

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trafalgar Tours

Hello....went to AAA (travel Agent) here in Los Angeles. I am looking at a tour called "London Week". Is anyone.....familiar with this company....they have been around long long time.

Question is: Is it a better deal to use their tour....or do everything ala carte....meaning I book my own hotels......convert everything to the Pound.....my USD=~.645 Pounds (will find symbol).

Here I will put questions in logical order.

1. Has anyone had experience with the Trafalgar Tours

2. I am looking at the tour "London Week"......stays in one hotel in London....does day trips to Bath, Stonehenge, Stratford-upon-Avon.

3. Choices of hotels are: A. Hilton Olympia B. Park Riverbank Plaza C. Holiday Inn Kensington D. The Cumberland

The Tour package is for 8 days (which I wanted), 3 days are for sightseeing and free time.

Are there any other tours that someone could recommend. I am compiling the "to Do list" from recommendations on this board.

I would like to go to Camden town....do a river and bus tour....would like to go to Cotswolds......also Imperial War museum.

coming mid-June...after Queens Jubilee and hopefully before all the Olympics traffic..

Thank you much for any info...traveling with 17 yr old son, just him and me (his Mom).

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
41,000 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trafalgar Tours

Trafalgar are a long established company and the tour (well it's really a London stay with optionals) should be well run but you will have to do the math to see if if you can put something together yourself for less bearing in mind that Trafalgar will have reps on hand to help should you have problems.

You can easily book day trips either from the US or when you get here or you can do it yourself and book rail tickets in advance if you feel brave enough. These may save you several pounds for Bath from where you can book an afternoon tour to Stonehenge.

Of the hotels offered I think the Cumberland is arguably the best located but would prefer the Park Plaza Riverbank, a better hotel on the river and not that far from the Houses of Parliament and other sights.

For now I would concentrate on flight and accommodation (there are budget hotels that might prove better value - there is an excellent list on here somewhere) and then decide on a rough itinerary.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
56 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trafalgar Tours

THANK YOU...so much Adam Hornets....I think because its my first time,,,,,I should go with tour,,,,just trying to find best one and one with good ratings..

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trafalgar Tours

You need to do the maths but I find the big expense with tours is that you pay for the hotel room per person (basically double) when the actual cost is per room.

Day trips are easily booked in London. We took the Windsor/ Hampton Court Palace trip with Golden tours and the only downside was the time it took us to leave London and return but you`re going to get that with anyone.

http://www.goldentours.com/Low_Cost_Tours

Was a funny setup as it was joined with the Windsor/ Stonehenge group but they left when we reached Windsor.

If you want to check hotel prices I like Trivago which shows you which supplier includes breakfast.

If you put in the dates and type in hotel name it will give a list of prices and options.

http://www.trivago.co.uk/europe-581/hotel

We did some London Walks while we were there and found them great.

http://www.walks.com/

We did one of their country walks (Cotswolds) but it just depends on your dates as the out of London ones vary. Westminster Abbey was also wonderful with them. Very simple and cheap. Just turn up at the designated tube stop and pay the guide. No booking beforehand.

We caught the tube to Camden Town - You`ll find it very simple.

You`ll get a real sense of achievment doing it yourself, there`s plenty of help on this forum.

Edited: 08 January 2012, 01:29
Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,465 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trafalgar Tours

Most prices on tours are based on two people sharing, which means that they are not paying more for a double room. That's why single travellers usually have to pay a supplement to cover the full cost of the room.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trafalgar Tours

It`s true there is a single supplement but have a friend doing a Scenic tour soon who has booked a couple of extra days before her tour starts. She and her friend are paying 200 euros each per night through the group where I could book a double room for 200 euros for the same dates.

vancouver
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trafalgar Tours

Having been on 2 trafalgar tours in the past, I felt less stressful knowing I was being taken care of, e,g, luggage hotels etc. You are in good hands, so don't worry. Relax and enjoy the trip. John, Canada

Leavenworth...
Level Contributor
161 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trafalgar Tours

I've done 3 Trafalgar tours which was great because like the previous poster said no stress. Also a Globus city stay tour London back in 2003, which was our first introduction to traveling to Europe. We did book 3 day trips once we got settled in our hotel, I think it was thru Evan Evans tours they came and picked us up at the hotel than took us to the meeting place where we boarded our tour bus. But you should check out Premium Tours.

Hope you have a fun time.

Independence, Kansas
Level Contributor
1,865 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trafalgar Tours

Most of us on here do our own bookings and do not use tours. It's so easy to sample London using the internet and TA. No need for a tour. Fly into Heathrow or Gatwick and use the Heathrow or Gatwick Express into central London. Take a taxi to your hotel. All the rest is up to you--book theatre tickets, find out about St. Paul or Westminster tours or services, go to Greenwich, eat cheese sandwiches at Borough Market, dine at the upper floors of the Tate Modern (we did), do the Parliament Tour on Saturdays for non-citizens, see the Crown Jewels, fins and eat at Gordon's wine bar, see the eats at St. Martin's in the Fields crypts.... so much to do on your own. It's easy - peasy.

vancouver
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trafalgar Tours

Having been on 2 trafalgar tours in the past, I felt less stressful knowing I was being taken care of, e,g, luggage hotels etc. You are in good hands, so don't worry. Relax and enjoy the trip. John, Canada

Tasmania, Australia
Level Contributor
181 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trafalgar Tours

Trafalgar are a very good touring company, but London is easy to get around, and very safe. Save your money on the tour and as suggested use the net and tripadvisor, that's whats we did with no problems. Enjoy. BTW the Cotswolds are quite some distance from London.