We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways Seat Assignment Advice

Colorado
Level Contributor
313 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways Seat Assignment Advice

British Airways doesn't allow passengers to choose their seats w/Economy Fares until 24 hours before your flight unless you are willing to pay $38.00 per person.

Is this something I should pay for? Only my wife & I are traveling together. I don't know the percentage of people who wait till 24 hrs in advance. I just don't want to be stuck in a row where the seat doesn't recline or in the middle of the Boeing 777.

Also..... any recommendations for best seats in World Traveler on a 777 ?

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways Seat Assignment Advice

My experience is that you'll be fine logging on 24 hours before the flight; can't guarantee obviously but I've never had a problem.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways Seat Assignment Advice

On short haul flights I've never had any problems selecting seats 24 or even 16 hours ahead of travel

Long haul may be different - the 'penalties' are higher if you don't get acceptable seats. Depends on how much it matters to you - personally I'd be inclined to stump up unless budget is really tight

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,817 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways Seat Assignment Advice

I've always managed to get a perfectly OK economy seat at online check-in, when it's free to choose your seat. The only economy seats I'd consider worth paying for are the exit row seats, which BA sell from 14 days before departure. And they are worth paying for on a longhaul flight - more legroom and you won't feel squashed when the person in front reclines their seat.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Level Contributor
131 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways Seat Assignment Advice

Take a look at the bottom of the page at SeatGuru, another TA site.

Knowing the flight number, it is a good source to pick a good seat.

I always use it.

Good luck

FS

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways Seat Assignment Advice

Take a two-pronged strategy.

1.Plan to checkin and select seats at exactly 24 hours before take off. The majority of people leave it much later and indeed don't even checkin until they get to the airport.

2. Occasionally (every few weeks) go into manage my booking and start a seat selection process. You can see a seat map, if it looks like its starting to fill up, and there are few seats that you'd like left, pay.

As said above, use seat guru (or seatexpert, another good website) to know in advance what are the good and more to the point bad, seats.

In most cases (1) is all you'll end up needing. Note that some seats are reserved for elite level frequent flyers and released at T-24, so additional "nice" seats do open up then, but you do have to be quick to snag those.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways Seat Assignment Advice

ps in future posts regarding airlines should be on the air travel forum.

Zebulon, North...
Level Contributor
37 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways Seat Assignment Advice

To me there is a big difference in a middle seat vs an aisle. I will add the $38 into the cost when shopping for an airline.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
56,047 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways Seat Assignment Advice

It's rare that pax in WT won't have a good choice of seats when OLCI (on line check in) opens at T-24h.

I'm flying with BA next month, and as of today only one seat (mine) has been booked in WT+ on the outbound sector. I'd not choose to pay for seats on a plane as large as a 747 or 777, as there will be something that suits at OLCI.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
745 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British Airways Seat Assignment Advice

The seating is 3 - 3 - 3 It would be almost unheard of to not be able to get 2 adjacent seats if you check in online 24 hours before the flight. On that basis, you will either get an aisle and adjacent or window and adjacent.. There's no chance of "being stuck in the middle of the plane" unless your wife refuses to let you out !

10. Re: British Airways Seat Assignment Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2013, 09:22