We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wimbledon

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Wimbledon

I will be in London during the second week of Wimbledon this year.

I have watched some of the open matches from Roland Garros at a huge screen in the center of Paris and from Rod Laver at a huge screen in Sydney. Both were free access to the public.

Is there anything like that in London?

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wimbledon

Unfortunately not, you can queue for a grounds ticket into Wimbledon and then you can watch the big screen on Henman Hill / Murray Mound / Federer Fell / Tsonga Tslope or whatever it will be named by the media this year.

In the centre of London a lot of pubs echo to the sounds of Wimbledon during the tournament, it's pretty popular in many of them.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wimbledon

Hmm, pub sounds like a very nice idea. Much better than queuing at Wimbledon. I expect to be staying in Bloomsbury - any recommendations for pubs in the area, preferably with a large screen. In the States, they are called sports bars - anything like that in London?

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,322 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wimbledon

Yeah there are one or two but sports bars aren't really common and they're (in my view) a dire place to watch a game like tennis. The Superbowl maybe, a World Cup football match yes, but not Wimbledon. I'll have a think of pubs in Bloomsbury, the old TALF favourite "The Lamb" doesn't have TV. Dozens of others in Bloomsbury will, the Bloomsbury Tavern does for starters. The Friend At Hand was certainly showing tennis last summer:

fancyapint.com/Pub/london/friend-at-hand/304

When you know where you're staying, ask again as Bloomsbury is fairly large-ish.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wimbledon

Planning to stay at the Moran, Bloomsbury St round the corner from the British Museum. If not there, then probably not in Bloomsbury.

Just seems like more fun to watch a match or two with others than alone in my hotel room.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
113 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wimbledon

Pitzikat - don't rule out getting a grounds pass and taking it all in first-hand. I did that a few years ago, and it was fantastic. We got there around 4:30 in the afternoon, right before the price goes down a couple pounds for the evening, and were able to walk right in past those queueing up for the cheaper tickets.

Yes, watching in a local pub is fun, too (did that as well) but there's no substitute for walking around the grounds, sitting on the lawn watching the big screens (Nadal and Murray when we were there) and watching the matches in the other side courts.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,711 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wimbledon

As has been suggested. Join the queue, come in sit on Berdych bump. The ambiance is infectious and the strawberries scrumptious.

Go see.

7. Re: Wimbledon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2013, 10:21