We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do????

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
ct
Level Contributor
153 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
What to do????

We'll be in London a total of 6 days with an additional 2 day trip to Bath/Stonehenge. Would you suggest an overnight in Oxford as well or should it be a day trip? Also should we be going to Cambridge or any other spot nearby? All advice is welcome! Thanks.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,000 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do????

Cambridge is great for a day trip, only 50 mins from Kings Cross. Lots of great buildings ,excellent museums ,including war museum in Duxford , botanical gardens, Lovely riverside pubs and restaurants, and the colleges, plus the birthplace of Pink Floyd

ct
Level Contributor
153 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do????

Now that I've done some more researching (and it seems that's all I've done today!) does it make more sense to do an overnight in Oxford, visit Blenheim Palace as well? Would fitting in a trip to Stratford on Avon be too much also? Thanks for your help.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do????

If you've got 6 days in London including your arrival and departure days I don't personally think you've got time for more than 2 side trips (possibly one if overnight). So you will have to make some choices, I would not do Oxford AND Cambridge, just one. If you want to do Oxford and overnight you could combine with somewhere like Blenheim Palace but trying to fit in SUA (which is not all that frankly) is too much.

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,245 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do????

Just go to Liverpool for the day.

Book in advance and get cheaper than normal train tickets.

Only 2 hours 8 mins on the train from that London.

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do????

I'm just waiting for a TA member from Rotherham or Grimsby to suggest spending a day up there.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do????

Or Hull.

So that the OP can say he/she's been to Hull and back.

7. Re: What to do????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 January 2012, 22:05
8. Re: What to do????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 15 January 2012, 14:41
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to do????

That's a mighty fine chip on your shoulder matt!

But in all seriousness at what point did the OP ask about going to Liverpool or indicate any interest in going there, in what is already a too crowded schedule, which is the point of the posts IMO?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,032 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to do????

lovetotravelCt - yes do read up on Oxford/Cambridge. FWIW I'd say Cambridge is more compact and 'unspoilt' if that helps. Of course if you have a particular interest in Oxford associations and academia over Cambridge that would win out, as it would if you decide to combine with Blenheim. You can't go wrong with either though, really.