We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good idea or bad idea?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tyrone,Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Good idea or bad idea?

Would like to hear people's honest opinions. Me an the fiance are due to get married next jan an we were thinkin about the honeymoon. Both of us are more into small city breaks rather than lying on the beach.

I know we're a bit early but we were thinking of visiting the following cities by train: london-paris-munich-vienna-budapest. We would plan to stay 3 or 4 days on each city an then fly back frpm budapest.

What do people think? Is it too much to take on? Is it bad time of year? An would the cost be much too high even if we were to stay in cheap b & b an hotels?

london
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good idea or bad idea?

read up on

http://www.seat61.com/

everything you never knew you didn't know about train travel

how long are you planning your honeymoon to be ?

Tyrone,Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Good idea or bad idea?

Thanks for that, thats the sort of website we need. Planning on about 16-17 nights so would stay 3 nights or 4 nights were there has been extra bit of travel like munich

Ossett, United...
Level Contributor
2,927 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good idea or bad idea?

It sounds fabulous, and Vienna is beautiful in the winter!

U.S. expats
Destination Expert
for Windsor, London, Dry Tortugas National Park
Level Contributor
19,848 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good idea or bad idea?

Flying in and out will probably be days where not much else is accomplished. Train days, which involve packing, checking out, getting to the station, journey time, getting to hotel, checking in and unpacking will eat at least half a day.

So with 16 days, you will actually have 12 full days in these five cities.

If you can, lengthen your vacation.

london
Level Contributor
2,126 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good idea or bad idea?

I was just thinking that, although your plans sound fabulous, in January I personally might prefer to head south rather than east ... Nice, Rome, Barcelona, Madrid, whatever

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,788 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good idea or bad idea?

I've heard of people putting things like this on their wedding present list so, for example, people could chip in to buy you breakfast in Budapest or a room in Rome (OK, cheesy but you get the idea - the point is that they still feel they are giving you something specific and you get some treats along the way). It makes the planning fun too.

On the timing, four cities sounds a bit more manageable than five in the time available.

England, United...
Level Contributor
3,633 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good idea or bad idea?

That's not at all a cheesy idea, Sarah. It sounds much more fun than people buying vacuum cleaners or ironing boards or such like.

Bradybomb, Your plans sound great and just about feasible as long as you don't try and see everything. First time I went to Vienna and Munich I had only 2 nights in each, but still managed to see a fair bit. The good thing about train travel is that you leave from, and arrive in, city centres and avoid all the aggro of air travel. Have a great wedding and honeymoon!

Tyrone,Ireland
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Good idea or bad idea?

Thanks for all the replies so far, they are insightful. Had thought of going west but we'd been to Madrid and Barcelona before and would like to travel somewhere new. The added advantage of the train is that we find it more relaxing than flying and less stressful!

9. Re: Good idea or bad idea?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2013, 10:23