We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charge Credit Card?

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Charge Credit Card?

"Credit card details are held to guarantee the room and we reserve

the right to debit one night charge.

You may pay as you wish on arrival."

I read this clause on the hotel's email as they would hold card details as guarantee - but I can pay whichever method I prefer on arrival? The hotel has charged one night already on my card for reservation in May. Should I argue this point or am I reading it wrong. No other hotel I have reserved so far has charged ahead of time. Thx GBlyn

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,213 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charge Credit Card?

It will depend entirely what rate you have gone with and of course the hotel's own booking policy. Perfectly normal IME (of spending 50-100 nights in hotels a year).

More info required on what rate you have booked would be helpful.

Edited: 17 January 2012, 10:56
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Charge Credit Card?

They will probably do a refund and allow you to pay another way on arrival - but you may lose out on exchange rates this way.

Have they actually charged or just 'earmarked' the money?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charge Credit Card?

Parkland, the rate is 110 pounds per room/night (x 2 rooms) it isn't a special rate - that price is what shows on the website. I would have thought they would say we will charge the first night as a guarantee, not "we reserve the right....." if that is what they were going to do. A bit misleading IMO.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,213 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Charge Credit Card?

I agree the wording is slightly odd. It may be on a website but that is not the type of rate. Many hotels charge a range of rates on their own site and some (mainly larger groups IME ) often charge a night as a deposit.

Is it a flexible or non flexible rate and which hotel is it?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charge Credit Card?

Dzug - they have charged one night - I noticed it on my statement.

Parkland it is the Hyde Park Radnor and it is a flexible rate.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,213 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Charge Credit Card?

OK well HPR's booking is by request so I can't see their terms and conditions. It's a legit place but personally I think it's unacceptable to charge in advance for a flexible rate. It's either an advance rate or it isn't. I also think there are better hotels, but that's your call. I would look elsewhere if it were me.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Charge Credit Card?

Yes, I'm definitely back to the drawing board - any suggestions gratefully accepted! I'm waiting to hear their reply to my email before I cancel.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,213 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Charge Credit Card?

If you want something in the same area have a look at Vancouver Studios or the Parkwood or click on the link in post 3 of this thread:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…37979055

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
581 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Charge Credit Card?

Thank you Parkland - most appreciated.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Charge Credit Card?

Should I argue this point or am I reading it wrong.

=====

I think you are reading it wrong.

According to what you wrote they "reserve the right to debit one night charge" and it appears, have exercised that right.

Before you cancel, I would double check that you are entitled to do so without losing that one nights charge.