We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brick Lane on Saturday

uk
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Brick Lane on Saturday

I wonder if someone could just answer a quick question please. I have been to BL on a sunday and it had a superb market, but especially scores of international food stalls inside two buildings along the road. Are these open on a Saturday as I want to take friends there to savour the atmosphere.

Likely To Sell Out
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle and Bath...
5,254 reviews
from US$127.50*
Likely To Sell Out
Making of Harry Potter Round-Trip...
456 reviews
from US$106.00*
Stonehenge, Windsor Castle, Bath...
2,085 reviews
from US$150.40*
Special Offer
Luxury Paris Day Trip with Champagne...
464 reviews
from US$302.90*
US$336.60
London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brick Lane on Saturday

It sounds like you're referring to the Backyard Market and the Sunday Up Market.

The Backyard market is open on Saturdays from 11am till 6pm and Sundays from 10am to 5pm

www.backyardmarket.co.uk/cgi-bin/web/index.pl

The Sunday Up Market is only open on Sundays (as the name suggests) from 10am to 5pm.

http://www.sundayupmarket.co.uk/index.html

uk
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Brick Lane on Saturday

I think it was the Backyard Market - basically there were lots of little stalls selling Japanese, Jamaican, Italian... food and a communal eating area at the back. There were two of these buildings along BL.

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brick Lane on Saturday

Which is best for second hand clothes, Brick Lane or Spitalfields?

Thanks

uk
Level Contributor
103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Brick Lane on Saturday

My wife fell in love with this area - it is jam-packed with vintage shops selling reasonably priced, cool clothes. I'd say its a must see place - I haven't been to Spitalfields properly, but you could easily do both together as they are close by each other.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,575 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brick Lane on Saturday

Sunday is the better day for Brick Lane, and Spitalfields Market.

Until the Second World War this was predominantly a Jewish area. As Jews rest on the Sabbath, which occurs on Saturday, Sunday became established as the trading day in these parts.

You might also consider combining with a visit to Columbia Road Flower Market, open from 8am to 2pm every Suday and always a riot of colour.

I mapped out an intinerary for an East End Sunday if you are interested; click on the link below:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186338-c169965/Lon…

Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brick Lane on Saturday

Thank you for the link Wirewiper. You helped me to decide how to spend Sunday on my next trip to London in March! East End Sunday - that's how it will be!

Santander, Spain
Level Contributor
1,899 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brick Lane on Saturday

Many thanks. Our Sunday morning in April is arranged too.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,575 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brick Lane on Saturday

That's Ok MaijaH and RamonSpain - come and have a great day!

9. Re: Brick Lane on Saturday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2013, 09:27