We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow to Knightsbridge-taxi cab, easy to get & how much??

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow to Knightsbridge-taxi cab, easy to get & how much??

Hey guys

I'm landing in London at Heathrow and staying in Knightsbridge. I have been quoted nearly 100 pounds by the hotel for a car to collect us.

I had thought somehow the cost of a taxi/cab would be around 50 pounds.

So my questions are;

1. How much (roughly) would a taxi/cab from Heathrow be to Knightsbridge? We land at 3pm on a Saturday. There are two of us.

2. Is it easy to find a taxi/cab at Heathrow Airport?

Just thinking its not worth getting the hotel car to collect us. Hoping for confirmation either way. Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 11:16
Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,365 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow to Knightsbridge-taxi cab, easy to get & how much??

£65-70 approximately. Yes, they're easy to find, there is a huge taxi rank clearly signed at each terminal, it'll take a taxi marshall about 30 seconds to get you into the next available cab. At really busy times you may stand in a queue for a few minutes.

A private car service (a pre booked "minicab") will cost about £20 cheaper, (£45 in general), the trade off being that he'll have to park up to come in and find you with his name board so you lose a tiny bit of time while he takes you back to where the car is parked. If you prefer you can call them on arrival and they'll just meet you outside arrivals, that will also save you a bit on parking so the fare could be as low as £40. Try Expressways:

http://www.expressways.co.uk/

£100 is a rip off.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,296 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow to Knightsbridge-taxi cab, easy to get & how much??

Is there some reason you don't want to take the tube? Direct and very easy by Piccadilly line to Knightsbridge - about 30-40 minutes, £5.30 max per person.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow to Knightsbridge-taxi cab, easy to get & how much??

Thanks Canucks - great info.

Parklandwalk, the main reason I had not considered the tube is that it is something I have never used, I don't know how to find it...and we will both have a large suitcase and cabin bag + handbag.

The closest station would be Victoria Station which is only a few blocks away from our hotel. So I'm sure its very doable. However my (adult) son has a condition that leaves him dizzy and with difficulty balancing at times so a taxi is probably best.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow to Knightsbridge-taxi cab, easy to get & how much??

Hmmm you have got me thinking. The tube is a huge saving of money. Which line would I take to get to Victoria Station or St James Park Station?

Are there taxi's there at about 4pm - 5pm on Saturdays?

Do the drivers get really annoyed if the fare is a short one?

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,637 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow to Knightsbridge-taxi cab, easy to get & how much??

Tube is easy - Piccadilly LIne then cross platform change to the District Line at Hammersmith.

Neither Victoria or St James' Park stations are that close to Knightsbridge, so I would question exactly where yor hotel is.

You can virtually always find a taxi in that area and there is a minimum charge so they probably won't mind too much provided you don't take one from the station queue at Victoria where they may have waited ages for a fare!

Hitchin, United...
Level Contributor
8,365 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow to Knightsbridge-taxi cab, easy to get & how much??

"Are there taxi's there at about 4pm - 5pm on Saturdays?"

Yes, there are taxis 24 hours a day, plenty of them.

"Do the drivers get really annoyed if the fare is a short one?"

It has been known at the airport, though it shouldn't happen. In fact it's set out in the black cab legislation that taxi drivers will accept all fares regardless of distance, and acting in a rude or discourteous way can and will earn a heavy fine where it's reported.

The drivers queue there to get the lucrative city centre runs but there is an agreement with the airport that if they pull a short fare they can come back to the front of the queue if returning within one hour. If I am reading you right, you may be thinking of a short taxi ride from Victoria station to the hotel? If so, you won't get any complaints for that. Short hops are very common in the centre.

The tube is not hard, there's one fairly easy change of line and it's just slightly less relaxing than a cab ride. It depends on whether a slight inconvenience is worth maybe a £60 saving. When I'm on holiday I tend to take a cab when I'm tired, but London's taxis are really expensive so if I was visiting here I'd take the tube, sixty quid is sixty quid. That's a decent meal out.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,296 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow to Knightsbridge-taxi cab, easy to get & how much??

I'm a bit confused where you are trying to get to (why do you need to get a taxi from St James's/Victoria for example). If you can specify which hotel you are staying at it will be easier to suggest the best route. Your thread title mentions Knightsbridge which is a different location entirely, though not far).

I would try and use the tube - it is well signposted and once you are here you will need to get around somehow and the tube is one of the quickest and easiest ways to find your way since everything is clearly signed. Buses can be useful as well but are a little more challenging at first.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 13:53
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
657 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow to Knightsbridge-taxi cab, easy to get & how much??

The hotel i am staying at is Hotel 41, apparently not in Knightsbridge, it's in London on Buckingham Palace Rd. Is it Waterloo or Marleybone as major stations and then take cab the rest of the way?

I'd rather give a cab driver a bit of a fair than take a number of trains and get so close to my hotel that a cab gets a low fair....I feel bad, and I'd rather not walk three blocks with all my luggage in the rain.

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,296 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow to Knightsbridge-taxi cab, easy to get & how much??

As mentioned on your other thread (and you yourself have mentioned) Hotel 41 is by Victoria. I would strongly recommend you visit the website which has a map and directions. It is 5 minutes at most from the station. The likelihood it will be raining is probably less than Melbourne.

www.41hotel.com/location/how-to-find-us

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,801 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow to Knightsbridge-taxi cab, easy to get & how much??

If you want to take the tube but make it as straightforward as possible, I'd come into London on the Piccadilly line and get out at a station where you can easily hail a cab to your hotel. No doubt one of the tube experts can advise here; the one that comes to my mind is Gloucester Road as it's not too far from your hotel, not quite as busy as the West End locations at that time and plenty of cabs pass it. So that way you'd have one tube journey with no changes followed by a cab to Hotel 41.