We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Request: Connection information London Waterloo Station

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Out West
Level Contributor
13 posts
189 reviews
Save Topic
Request: Connection information London Waterloo Station

GDay-

I will be staying near the Green Park UG station and the National Rail journey planner states that a change of trains is necessary at the London Waterloo station. May I enquire from those "in the know" the usual arrival platform for service from Green Park and information regarding train departure to Guildford my final destination. I am interested in receiving platform at connection times.

Not having ridden the National Rail Network before, advice on the system's On Time status would be appreciated. It is absolutely essential I be at the Guildford station n/l/t 1100 - am I to trust the scheduled departure and running times?

Thoughts and advice much appreciated.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Request: Connection information London Waterloo Station

Trains to Guildford are "proper" trains - full-sized overground ones, running on the national rail toutes. They leave from Waterloo station.

To get to Waterloo station from Green Park, you can take the Jubilee line of the Underground, or there are also buses.

Yes, you should follow the departure times. The barriers will close a minute or so before departure time, so be there with at least a couple of minutes to spare once you have bought your ticket and found the departure platform (probably, but not necessarily, in the lower numbers). Do not rely utterly on the train arriving exactly on time. If it is a critical appointment, aim to get the train before the last one that gets you there on time.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 18:23
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,220 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Request: Connection information London Waterloo Station

The journey planner is giving your the total route; First you get by tube from Green Park to Waterloo (the rail terminus), presumably Jubilee line, then get the South West train service to Guildford. Trains are pretty frequent on both tube and train with the usual caveats that you should build in some time for the unexpected. Generally that service is reliable though.

You can get alerts to a mobile (cell) phone for any major disruption to services but if you're really worried about timing get an earlier train (from Waterloo),

Edited: 24 January 2012, 18:27
london
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Request: Connection information London Waterloo Station

yes, take the Jubilee line underground to Waterloo, then follow the exit signs from the underground platform ... then follow the signs up the escalator to the mainline station ... you'll have to look at the departure board on the mainline station to find the platform number for the Guildford train

Out West
Level Contributor
13 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Request: Connection information London Waterloo Station

Thank you everyone.

Is there a minimum or recommended connection time between the UG arrival and the Guildford departure?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,220 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Request: Connection information London Waterloo Station

If I've got my ticket or using a ticket machine I aim to arrive about 15 minutes before the train departure (from Waterloo in this case). Platforms often only go up 5 -8 minutes beforehand for a destination like Guildford. anyway. For the tube just go, trains run every 2-4 minutes.

Edited: 24 January 2012, 18:56
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,590 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Request: Connection information London Waterloo Station

Trains run every 15 minutes (at 00, 15, 30 & 45 past the hour) from Waterloo to Guildford with a journey time of 33-38 minutes. The latest train that would get you there before 11am is therefore the 10.15 (arrives Guildford 10.50) . But, as Nick says, you'd be safer to aim for the earlier 10.00, which arrives Guildford at 10.33.

The underground from Green Park takes only 4 minutes to Waterloo, but it's quite a walk from the Jubilee line platforms to the mainline station. Again, to be safe (and as it's your first time doing this), I would be at Green Park by 9.30am.

Here is a plan of Waterloo railway station. According to the national rail website, the Guildford trains depart from platform 4. But check the departure boards when you arrive as that could change. - nationalrail.co.uk/stations/…

It may also be useful, if you can, to go to Waterloo the day before and buy your tickets for Guildford. That way, you won't be held up by lines at the ticket office/machines, and you'll be able to familiarize your self with the station.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Request: Connection information London Waterloo Station

To reply to the above post:

If you want to get to Guildford, catch a train going to Portsmouth via Guildford or Haslemere - the ones with a destination of Guildford are the stopping trains that take over an hour. There are also trains to Portsmouth by another route, so check the departure screens - Guildford is usually the 2nd or 3rd stop.

Fast trains are normally on the quarter hours .00, .15 etc. and are usually but not always around platform 12 or 13.

A return ticket is cheaper than 2 singles, particularly on after 9.30.

Allow 15 minutes to get from the Jubilee line to the main concourse (3 escalators) and to buy a ticket from a machine. You can't buy a through ticket from Green Park to Guildford, at least not at Green Park station. Departure platforms usually display about 10 minutes before train time.

Generally they are reasonable punctual (as in within 5 minutes).

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
2,461 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Request: Connection information London Waterloo Station

If you get to Guildford early there is a coffee shop to wait.

If you are being met check that your host will meet you on the town centre side (off platform 2) as there is another exit on the other side from the footbridge which is much more convenient if walking to the University.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11,395 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Request: Connection information London Waterloo Station

> If you want to get to Guildford, catch a train going to Portsmouth via Guildford or Haslemere - the ones with a destination of Guildford are the stopping trains that take over an hour. <

A very good point!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,757 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Request: Connection information London Waterloo Station

And if you buy your ticket for Guildford the day before remember to ask (and check) that it is dated for the following day, as tickets are date-specific.