We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Central Bus Station from Terminal 4

Which London hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Central Bus Station from Terminal 4

Is it easy to get to the central bus station from terminal 4? I read that this in only accessible for terminals 1 to 3.. Do I take a shuttle then from terminal 4 to 3? Planning to take the National Express bus to Victoria Station. Has anyone made use of the sky shuttle as well? Do you have any idea of the cost? I emailed them, but haven't received a reply. My hotel is Luna and Simone, on Belgrave Road. From Victoria Station is it best just to take a cab to the hotel? Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,947 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Central Bus Station from Terminal 4

You can take the free Heathrow Express shuttle from T4 to Heathrow Central (the latter station serves T1,3) then walk to the Central Bus Station for the National Express coach to Victoria Coach Station.

The way to the HEX station at T4 is well marked from Arrivals - follow the signs for the train rather than the Underground.

Shared shuttle services cost about £20 per person from LHR, so the National Express coach is cheaper, and may be quicker than the shuttle. The walk from Victoria Coach Station arrivals to the Luna & Simone will take about five or six minutes, cross Buckingham Palace Road at Eccleston Bridge and straight along Belgrave Road. The hotel is just past Denbigh Road.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,581 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Central Bus Station from Terminal 4

Easy is a relative word. You would indeed need to take the free train shuttle to T1-3 (trains every 15 mins) and from there it's about a 7 minute walk to the bus station, which is directly above the T123 underground station. To me that's a lot of time just to get to the bus stop.

There may be good reasons why you can't, but I'd look at the underground/tube which costs £5.30 per person cash. That would be Piccadilly line to Green Park, and then Victoria line to Pimlico in about 45-50 minutes. Sit in the rear of the train from Heathrow, and at Green Park make the change (no stairs) by taking the escalator to the ticket hall, stay train side, and another escalator down to the Victoria line. At Pimlico there are just 9 stairs from the ticket hall to the ramp up to street level.

The Luna and Simone is around a 5 minute walk from Pimlico station, as opposed to 8-10 from Victoria coach station.

Edited: 25 January 2012, 06:13
Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Central Bus Station from Terminal 4

The reason why I'm taking the National Express is because of the suggestions here on TALF that with luggages, it's more convenient to take it rather than the tube which may be full. Likewise, carrying luggages up from the tube would be somehow cumbersome. You're suggestion though of Pimlico instead of Victoria makes it sound better. It's our first time in London. I would study the tube option once more and see what would be best for us. If I do get the National Express, I can just get the tickets upon arrival right? Any more suggestions to help me decide would truly be appreciated! Thanks once more!!!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,581 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Central Bus Station from Terminal 4

oreofiero,

No problem. The coach is a perfectly viable and reasonable option. Just that in my opinion, it takes quite a bit of time to get from T4 to the bus station, and I'm thinking that time could be spent on the tube heading to London.

I believe you can get tickets for the NEX coach at the bus station, yes.

As regards the tube, what time (and day) does your flight land at T4?

The escalators at Green Park and Pimlico are long (though I manage it fine with one large roller suitcase, a carry on roller and backpack).

Edited: 25 January 2012, 06:58
Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Central Bus Station from Terminal 4

The alternative - it takes longer, but less walking involved - is the 555 bus from T4 to the central bus station. Runs every half hour, takes 15-20 minutes and is free.

Manila, Philippines
Level Contributor
66 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Central Bus Station from Terminal 4

We arrive on the 5ht of Feb, Sunday at 7 am. At this time, is the tube manageable? I will also look up the bus 555. Thank you once more for all your help!!

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,960 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Central Bus Station from Terminal 4

On Sundays, the 555 bus is less frequent, but is is running - buses from T4 at 06.59, 08.09, 09.18 then hourly.

First Underground (not free) from T4 at 05.46.

First Hethrow Connect (free) at 06.07, then hourly.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,581 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Central Bus Station from Terminal 4

oreofiero,

On February 5th, the Victoria line is closed for engineering works anyway. making the tube to Pimlico option a non starter.

I would take the free train shuttle as you mentioned in the original post to the central bus station.

tfl.gov.uk/assets/…track-closures.pdf

Edited: 25 January 2012, 16:52
London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Central Bus Station from Terminal 4

<<The reason why I'm taking the National Express is because of the suggestions here on TALF that with luggages>>

The regulations with regards luggage have just changed with National Express.

It was and still is maximum of 2 bags neeither of which should weigh more than 20kg (44 lbs).

In the past drivers have been quite flexible about this and more often than not accepted larger cases.

National Express have now introduced a formal excess luggage facility whereby its £10 GBP (twice the cost of the fare for this run) for any bag over this. Customers who do not have excess baggage get on the bus first, if there is no room in the hold after this after those with excess luggageyou have to wait for the next bus even if you have a ticket for that one.

Early indications are that drivers are now much more stricter at enforcing luggage regs.

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
40,679 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Central Bus Station from Terminal 4

Waiting for the 555 bus at T4 can be a long and boring process and the Hammersmith flyover restrictions, even on a Sunday morning, will cause some additional delays so my suggestion would be Piccadilly line to Hammersmith then change across the platform and take any District line service to Victoria from where you can either take a taxi or a #24 bus which will stop right outside your hotel.