We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport transportation

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Airport transportation

We are 2 couples traveling from Heathrow airport to Port Harwich. How can I find a reliable taxi service to the port?

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
19,746 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport transportation

The Cruise Company may organise something, so it's worth checking.

I'm not well up on car transfers but there are several TALFers who are, so sit tight and wait ...

Edited: 01 February 2012, 16:15
England, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport transportation

There is this company, but I can't comment on their reliability:

linkairports.co.uk/pages/100000009/london_ai…

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport transportation

I found this. Looks like a private transfer or you can go into London and get the train from Liverpool St Station. Hope it helps.

londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_harwich.htm

London UK
Level Contributor
2,562 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport transportation

It is a 113 mile journey from Heathrow to Harwich, some taxi journey, even splitting the costs between four. Suggest you take the Heathrow Connect train from Heathrow to Ealing Broadway and cross the platform (no stairs) to take the Central Line tube to Liverpool Street Station. Cost per person about £5. From there catch the train to the port (Harwich International), 80 minutes and £12.50 -£20 per person depending on the train. For details of the trains to Harwich log onto http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport transportation

Another thought is that if the cruise co dont offer this option (or even if they do), you could go on the cruisecritic forum and see if there are others looking to do the same trip and who will be happy to share.

We joined another two couples for a lot of tours in our cruise and it worked out well for us.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,324 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport transportation

How much time will you have between arrival at Heathrow and when you have to be on board at Harwich (NOT the time the ship sails)?

As others have pointed out it's 113 miles which is over two hours drive on a good day - add on at least 90 minutes for the formalities of airports and even with an early morning arrival is could be after midday before you reach Harwich.

I'd also suggest you do a search on this forum for "harwich" and on the Harwich forum for "heathrow" and "london" as this question is asked on a regular basis.

Edited: 01 February 2012, 16:40
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport transportation

Thank you for answering my question.

We have more than one day, as we are getting into Heathrow on Monday and traveling to Harwich to spend the night and do not board until Tuesday. The other couple traveling with us are quite a bit older, so they are not able to walk a long way, nor carry all their luggage.I found a company called Hummingbird, but I was not comfortable with their gathering of information for our transfer. Is it normal to send credit card information to these taxi companies?

Hampshire, England.
Level Contributor
3,685 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport transportation

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g186338-i17-k493…

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,324 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport transportation

< We have more than one day >

Spend the night in London then where there's a good range of hotels / restaurants / attractions..

Use a car service to take you to your hotel in London, spend the night there then next morning take a taxi to Liverpool Street station for the train to Harwich International.

London
Level Contributor
3,773 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport transportation

There is a special cruise train for most cruises at Harwich from London's Liverpool Street station, which is non-stop to the platform adjacent to the cruise terminal.

This is probably the most comfortable way to get to Harwich as well as bring the least expensive.

For cars it is normal to send some time of security, typically a credit card to act as a security to guarantee your booking where if you don't show up they debit your credit card in compensation.

For private cars its also normal to ask for significant deposits even full payment. A lot of private car opeartors are becoming increasingly wary of people from the US as a significant minority seem to think its fun to cancel their credit card payment the first minute they get home, so operators are increasingly asking for earlier payments if not the full amount well in advance of travel.

Edited: 02 February 2012, 09:19